TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have not been able to get closed captioning to work on my

I have not been able to get closed captioning to work on my TV since I brought it home. I can get CC through my Sat TV controller but when I go to the menu settings on the actual TV the choice for Closed Captioning is "greyed" out and not an option to select. What am I doing wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

The reason your closed captioning is grayed out on your TV set is because you are using a video input jack instead of the Antenna jack on your TV set.

You have to set the TV to the Antenna input, then select that input and then the CC will not gray out on you.

TV Tuners do the Closed Captioning when they are active, and presently your Satellite box is actually the tuner being used.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please explain further. Does this mean that I can only get closed captioning thru the TV for things like the DVD's when I change the setting to the antenna input mode?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

No, it means if you are watching TV channels on your TV tuner, then you can turn on the TV's Closed captioning and it will decode the signal coming from the TV tuner.

If you choose to use the Satellite, then it's the tuner. The Satellite's Closed Captioning button operates that Closed Captioning.

On DVD players, there is a SUB-TITLE setting that turns on the Sub-Titles. The DVD box usually has the Sub-Title /Caption information on the back.of it. Sometimes the DVD itself will have it printed on it.

Anything connected to your TV set using any of the Video input jacks is actually controlled by the Device's remote, and not the TV's remote.

The TV set will only provide Closed Captioning from it's own tuner. The rest of the equipment connected to the TV's Video Inputs will have to turn on the Captions with the remote that controls it.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I have some teaching DVD's for my hearing imparied daughter that when played on the built in DVD player in the TV cannot use CC because in order to play a DVD on the set I have to make the input selection of DVD rather than TV/Antenna. The same thing happens when I try and play the same DVD's in my Blu Ray player. The DVD says on the box that they have closed captioning available through the sub titles choice but that does not work on either the TV or the Blu Ray player. Funny thing, when I take these same DVD's to my neighbors house and play them on their DVD player, thru their TV there is no problem. Are you sure this is not a TV problem? I am not feeling very comfortable with this whole process. I went to the Insignia TV site to ask for help and now I'm paying $38 to find out that the TV doesnt work.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

From your description of the issue, your subtitle is actually controlled by the DVD settings, not the TV set. With the DVD out of the player, I would select the DVD settings be it your TV's DVD or the Blu Ray.

Then I would insert the DVD and set the Subtitle setting on the DVD before starting it.

What's the brand and model of your Blu Ray, I'll look into your issue. How are you connected? Sometimes it's the choice of inputs that you are using, because a set of Analog input cables may work, while a set of Digital Cables may not have the CC available to it.

Analog and Digital CC are completely different signals.

So here is the key. How are your Neighbors connected. HD or Standard Def? I'd replicate their setup as closely as possible. If you give me that information I may be able to research the issue better for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me at your late hour. It will be unfortunate if the casue of the problem is my use of HDMI cables to connect my HiDef TV to my HiDef Cable box and my HiDef Blu Ray player and that results in my not being able to receive CC on certain media without going through the hassle of chaning settings each and every time. Anyway...

I will give all of your suggestions a try and respond in the morning as to the success or failure of the steps. Until then, while I am extremely happy with your companies response and follow up I am, as yet, unhappy with Insignia and their "hand off" solution to a customer service issue that they should be able to handle. Please reply back to this response so I will have a way to contact your group tomorrow when I have given your suggestions a try. Thanks and thanks again for all of your help.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, I'll bet your neighbor's hookup is going to be Analog Closed Captioning, and you have Digital.

If that happens, look at your Blu Ray and see if you might have either the older 3 Wire RCA connections or maybe the "slightly old" Component connections. That may be the issue, but I'm going to bed. Tomorrow I'll look at the options your TV and Blu Ray provide us with.

Don't forget the Brand and the model of the Blu Ray, can't research without it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My new Blu Ray player is a Dynex model DX-WBRDVD1/DX-WBRDVD1-CA
And, yes I am connecting to my TV using HDMI cables - one from the cable tv DVR and Turner to the HDMI-1 setting and one from the Dynex Blu Ray player to the TV on HDMI-2. --- and yes my neighbors are using analog setting and don't have a Hi Def TV or Blu Ray.
I found the settings to turn on subtitles in the DVD set up menu before putting in the DVD but when I am playing the DVD the button for sub titles on the remote says "N/A" when I try to select it. Thoughts??
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Take a look at possibly connecting your Blu ray player with the Analog connection. If your neighbors had analog, then the DVD has Analog Subtitles on it instead of Digital.

graphic

Connect that video cable connection to your Side panel --AV2

graphic

Now, while we are at the TV set --

graphic

Now those setting most likely ONLY work with the RF input on your TV set, and you may want to try setting SUBTITLES on your Built-in DVD player WHEN YOU HAVE A DISC INSERTED INTO IT !

Try to access the DVD's menu BEFORE and AFTER the DVD is inserted.

graphic

Now there may be some subtitle setups BEFORE ....and possibly AFTER inserting the disc you want to watch with subtitling.

When you set your settings BEFORE -- that actually sets up the DVD player, and when you Set it AFTER inserting the Disc, it Sets up the DVD disc !

That may be why your TV couldn't get the subtitles off your DVD.

As for the Blu Ray....we'll deal with that.

Set your Blu Ray to use BOTH the HDMI and the Composite Video Cable. I suspect the HDMI cable can only deliver DIGITAL CC and you need ANALOG CC off of the Disc for it to appear.

Let's deal with the TV setup first. Let me know if you are successful with those settings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I am confused. I am happy with the help I received but you need to know that the $38 has already been taken out of my bank account. Let me know, I want to make sure you vet paid but I sure don't want to get billed twice.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You have an account here at Just Answers. You credit card was charged to put money into that account. It's still yours, just moved to the Just Answers account.

You press ACCEPT once, and only once. When we are done.

Ok, if words don't work, pictures MIGHT.

Here is a picture of your remote control, and the buttons you must use to make sure your Subtitles are turned ON, and in English

You have to navigate using the up/down and left/right arrow keys, and pressing the OK button.

graphic

graphic

graphic

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.