Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I Have A Magnavox 47 Inch Flatscreen Tv That Goes Black

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

Also, when the screen goes black, are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV?

Additionally, when the screen is black, do you still have sound?

If you press the MENU button using the TV remote, does the MENU screen pop up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model Number BZ5A0743161042. The screen fades out to black but the power button is still on (no blinking lights) and there is still sound. The menu screen still pops up if I select it with the remote. If I turn it off and turn it back on it fixes the problem temporarily but it continues after, usually within ten minutes. The tv only stays on for an hour or so before the problem starts. I have tried unplugging it for a few hours and letting it sit and have also reset the AV settings to factory.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
What is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, Cable Box, etc, ), and do you have the same problem regardless of which INPUT you're trying to view?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry the number I gave was the serial number the model ID is 47MF437B/37. I have an Xbox, Playstation, Wi, Cable box and stereo surround system hooked up to it. I have the same problem regardless of which input I am viewing. If I switch inputs like say from the xbox to the cable it tends to cause the problem more often than not. Each input works but eventually experiences the same black screen issue.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This indicates that the Mainboard on the set has failed. This is the board mounted directly to the rear panel that houses and routes all of the AV inputs in the TV.

Average cost for this type of repair is $350 parts and labor.

You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!