Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My Philips LCD will not stay powered up. After turning TV

My Philips LCD will not stay powered up. After turning TV on it starts powering up and in about 6-7 seconds, you hear a pop through the speakers and it powers down. What causes this and what can be done about it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the tv?

Also, how long have you had the set and when did this problem start?

Lastly, when the TV shuts down is there a blinking light on the front of the set?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My name is Stan. I cannot lift the TV off the wall, too heavy. According to the sticker on the manual, the model is 42PFL5432D/37 serial BZ5A0746116477

I purchased the set new in July 2008 and the problem began yesterday.

When the TV shuts down, usually it blinks 3 times very quickly, sometimes it shuts down with no blinks.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you that model number is XXXXX

Was there a storm or power outage prior to this happening?

Also, have you tried unplugging the set for several minutes to see if it resets?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have had no storms or power outages in this area for several weeks.

As suggested in the manual, I unplugged the unit for a couple of minutes to see if it would reset, no change there.

It seems like some sort of fuse it kicking out. One clue might be helpful; if one of the sources is selected that has nothing attached to it, it stays on for a minute or more. If HDMI2 or TV is selected where there is a signal, it kicks out in about 6 seconds.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Please try disconnecting the HDMI cable in the HDMI2 position and the TV cable. Then try selecting one of these devices and see if it stays on longer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After disconnecting the AV load from both HDMI2 and the TV cable, the TV stays powered up for close to one minute, showing the message "No Signal"
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Is this something you're looking to repair yourself, or are you looking for a diagnosis and an estimate to repair?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Diagnosis and estimate to repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Diagnosis and estimate to repair. If the repair is a simple fix that a non-technical electronics person could handle, I might attempt it, but i have no training for this.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

The problem is most likely going to be the Mainboard or the Power supply. The mainboard routes all of the AV signals to the TV. It is physically mounted to the rear panel of the set, and contains all of the jacks and connectors. A short in this board would cause the power supply to SOS and shut the set down. The average cost for replacement of this board is $325 parts and labor.

The power supply itself having a short on one of it's output voltages could also cause this problem. The capacitors on the supply are prone to failure, and a problem on this board would cause it to shut down after a few seconds to a minute or so- shutting down quicker when the 5 volts to process and HDMI signal is required. The average cost to replace this board is around $250 parts and labor.

You can locate a tech at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do the 3 rapid blinks relate to a code that would indicate either power supply or main board?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

The 3 blinks indicates a shutdown on the power supply which could be a shorted mainboard showing the short, or the power supply with the short. In either case the short is causing the power supply to shut down whether the short is at the output of the supply, or input of the mainboard- testing will need to be done as described above to determine which has the short. The supply sees the same thing when it blinks 3 times- short on output.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The popping sound I hear at shutdown sounds like a weak capacitor discharging prematurely. That may indicate a power supply more likely than the motherboard.

We do not have a technician within 100 miles which will make the repair nearly as expensive as a new unit.... oh what to do. Too good to throw away but it doesn't work.

thanks for the help

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
If the pop is coming from the speakers, it is impossible to determine where the short is coming from without testing. Disconnect the mainboard and turn on the set, does it stay on? If so, you've found your problem.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.