Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a 55 Hitachi Plasma Ultravision TV Model No. 55HDS69.

I have a 55" Hitachi Plasma Ultravision TV Model No. 55HDS69. Just today while I was watching it the picture went out. I have sound but no picture and cannot even view any menu items directly on the TV. I had the cable company come out but it is not their problem. What are my possible options? It is about 3-4 years old and I do not believe it is still under warranty.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you look close at the screen in a dark room, is it slightly illuminated?
-Is the light on the front acting normal?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is daylight here now with lights off in a sunny room but there does not appear to be any illumination at all. The Blue light at the bottom right-hand side of TV comes on while on and turns Red when I turn it off. I do get sound from the cable input but no picture.

I only have Cable and DVD but neither one has a picture. I cannot get any TV Menu items to show on the TV either.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
There are a couple of different things that could cause this problem, the first is the power supply, and the second the main board. Also either sustain or scan driver board can cause this problem. To know exactly what board is the cause, you need to have electronic repair experience, and test equipment. If you have this let me know and I will assist you in the troubleshooting of this tv. Otherwise you will need a repairman at this point. You can expect a bill of anywhere between $400-$700, this is a good average, however it could be more or less.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, please let me know if you have the skills and tools and I will be happy to assist you. Also please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was afraid that was what you were going to tell me. I do not believe I am qualified for this nor do I have the right equipment. Would you be able to recommend a possible repair company in the Louisville, KY area?

Thanks,

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
David,

Sorry for the bad news, wish it was easier. I do not personally know anyone in your area but if you use www.tvrepairpros.com to find a shop in your area you will get a good shop I am sure. The shops on that list are NESDA members so they should all be good quality.

Let me know if you need anything further.
Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,

I had a NESDA technician come out and look at the TV for $75 and he confirmed the problem was not the power supply. He said it was the main board and wanted $800 for the part plus labor. I said no, thinking I would rather buy a new TV first. But looking online, I found refurbished main boards starting at $99 and new ones for up to $283. I am thinking I should just go with one of those and install it myself. What do you think?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure he said main board? He should not have wanted more than $550 to replace it, 800 is sky high.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I reasonably sure that what he said.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Well it wont hurt you to try it...I would find a place that takes returns though just because.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just to make sure it is the correct one, do you know the part number for the Hitachi's main board?

Thanks,

Larry
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX my sources show it about $185 new. I normally recommend www.encompassparts.com.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician