Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

what is a infrared receiver, what does it do and how does it

what is a infrared receiver, what does it do and how does it work. I am a senior who owns a Vaio lap top, I just noticed the receiver in my possession it is a PCVA-IR6U for home and office use. then the no XXXXXXXXXX on the back as well. I am beginning to think that some of these things should be illegal for seniors but now I am curious since it was on my desk.
what does it recieve...
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, Sony Infrared Receiver PCVA-IR6U would be as it implies; it is an add-on device to a laptop/computer to enable said laptop/computer to be able to receive IR (infrared) signals from external sources such as a cellphone, another laptop or any other electronic product that has a built-in IR transmitter. IR are part of the light spectrum beyond human eyesight capability. Later models has incorporated the IR receiver as an integral part of the laptop. Most modern models no longer uses IR as this has been replace by the Blutooth technology and then WiFi (wireless networking). There are some laptop models that have all 3.

Please post back should you need additional information.

Good luck and thank you for asking.