Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

my sony bravia has a flashing red light that flashes 5 times

Customer Question

my sony bravia has a flashing red light that flashes 5 times &now the tv wont torn on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you.

What is the model number of your TV (located on the back of the set)?

Also, how long have you had the set for and has any work ever been done on it?

Lastly, were there storms or power outages in your area just prior to this happening?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4-256-437-01 3months no it worked fine b4 i went 2 work
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

That is not the model number. A typical Sony model would be KDL-40XBR9 (or similar).

Can you please check this again?

Also, you're saying you bought the TV only 3 months ago?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

kdl55ex720 yes

Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have good news, and the problem is that the power supply in the TV has failed. More specifically, the capacitors on this board have shorted and need to be replaced. These are no resets, or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem- the TV is faulty and in need of repair. I would not recommend removing the rear panel yourself, or attempting to repair as the set is still under warranty from the manufacturer.

Either contact the retailer, or use the link below to locate an Authorized Service Center in your rear. Also, if you diligently complain, the retailer may offer to exchange the set for you in lieu of sending in for repair.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!