Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Samsung lcd tv, model no. ln26a450c1dxza,version ct01,with

I have a Samsung lcd tv, model no. ln26a450c1dxza,version ct01,with the following problem. When I turn it on, I get no picture at all, but some sound. I left the set unplugged for a while, plugged it back in, and after a while it began to work again. A few days later, it again failed to have a picture, this time without the sound. I again left it unplugged, but no luck this time. Hoping you can help, and this was not a cheap set, it cost me over $500.00. I am hoping you can help, thanks in advance, Willie Trong.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

This is a very common problem with your tv, what has most likely happened (about 90% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $150-200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the rapid answer, but for the cost of a repair, I am probably better off buying another set. Is this a common Samsung problem, do you think if I contacted them they would do anything, I have an old crt magnavox I purchased back in the 1990s which still works fine. Do you recommend any sets over others, same size I am asking about.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Unfortuantely you are probably right on that one. Its not only common on samsungs but all new sets...they just don't make them like they should anymore.

I would call samsung (1-800-samsung) but I am not sure if they will do anything on a 26in set.

I recommend Sony, but that is probably just personal preference.