Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

50 Inch Panasonic Plasma TV Stopped Working.

I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma TV that just stopped working, it will not turn on. When I push the power button and I don't get any response. It is about 5 years old. We have checked all of the cords to make sure they are all plugged in.

What has happened and how can it be fixed?

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

What is the model number of the TV?

Also, is the power/standby light on the front of the set blinking at all?

Additionally, did this problem occur after a power outage or electrical surge?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model # *****

There is no light coming on at the front.

It could have possibly happened after a power surge but not sure.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any signs of life at all on the set such as a click when power button is pressed, hum, buzz or static sound?

Also, have you checked that the cord is secure and also tried another outlet?

If the unit is connected to a surge protector, please unplug it for 5 minutes and plug directly into a wall outlet.

Let me know if it has any signs of life at that point.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No signs of life when the button is pushed, no click or anything.

I just took it out of surge protector and plugged directly into wall. still nothing.

All other boxes on the surge protector(Direct TV and DVD) still working.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

This indicates that the power board is not powering up at all. The quick fix is that it could be simply that the fuse is blown. To access the fuse, you will need to remove the screws on the rear of the TV and remove the entire rear panel. The fuse will be located on the board where the power cord connects. Replace with one of the same type and rating from your local Hardware store.

If the set still does not power on, I would say that there is a cold solder-joint, or a failed component (likely the capacitors) on the power supply board. The capacitors failing is the MOST common problem with these sets, especially after a storm or power outage. The caps themselves can be replaced for around $150 parts and labor.

If another board had an issue, then the TV's power light would be on or flashing.

Do you have any prior experience testing voltages on live circuits, or soldering?

If not then, locating the solder joint, or failed circuit could take several hours of a Technician's time, and would require someone that knows electronics on a circuit board level.

There is no button to push to make the set work again. It would definitely require component repair/replacement.

An estimated cost to replace the entire power board (worst case scenario), would be approximately $300 parts and labor.

You can locate a Tech at the link below:

If you need further assistance, let me know.