Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a 50 inch panasonic plasma that just stopped working.

I have a 50 inch panasonic plasma that just stopped working. it wont turn on. You can't push the power button and get any response. It is about 5 years old. We have checked all of the cords to make sure they are all plugged in. Any other ideas to try?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
What is the model number of the TV?

Also, is the power/standby light on the front of the set blinking at all?

Additionally, did this problem occur after a power outage or electrical surge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model #TH-50PX50U
no light on the front coming on at all
possibly happened after a power surge, not sure
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Are there any signs of life at all on the set such as a click when power button is pressed, hum, buzz or static sound? Also, have you checked that the cord is secure and also tried another outlet? If the unit is connected to a surge protector, please unplug it for 5 minutes and plug directly into a wall outlet. Let me know if it has any signs of life at that point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No signs of life when the button is pushed, no click or anything
I just took it out of surge protector and plugged directly into wall. still nothing.
all other boxes on the surge protector(direct tv and dvd) still working
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This indicates that the power board is not powering up at all. The quick fix is that it could be simply that the fuse is blown. To access the fuse, you will need to remove the screws on the rear of the TV and remove the entire rear panel. The fuse will be located on the board where the power cord connects. Replace with one of the same type and rating from your local Hardware store.

If the set still does not power on, I would say that there is a cold solder-joint, or a failed component (likely the capacitors) on the power supply board. The capacitors failing is the MOST common problem with these sets, especially after a storm or power outage. The caps themselves can be replaced for around $150 parts and labor.

If another board had an issue, then the TV's power light would be on or flashing.

Do you have any prior experience testing voltages on live circuits, or soldering?

If not then, locating the solder joint, or failed circuit could take several hours of a Technician's time, and would require someone that knows electronics on a circuit board level.

There is no button to push to make the set work again. It would definitely require component repair/replacement.

An estimated cost to replace the entire power board (worst case scenario), would be approximately $300 parts and labor.

You can locate a Tech at the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.