Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

i just purchased an Emerson LC32oem2 TV, seemed to have the

Customer Question

i just purchased an Emerson LC32oem2 TV, seemed to have the best picture in the store. Unfortunately we need to be able to hook up headphones. Both me and my son in law with a music tech degree have tried every configuration of cables available to try to hook the TV up to either a surround system (tried 2 different ones) or a DVD player. The audio from the TV will not come out these devices to external speakers. Even tried going from TV - DVD - surround system. We have literally tried everything for days. we have used a variety of cable combinations including HDMI cable, component cables, digital audio cables, etc. even running the cable (from an antenna) in and out of an older vhs machine. Nothing. If we play a DVD the sound comes out fine from the TV, but will not work visa versa. Both my son in law and myself are veterans at hooking up these devices but this one is really stumping us. We have taken advice from both the guys at radio shack and best buy, but their suggestions didn't work either. i bought a new home theatre system thinking maybe it needed newest technology, but no luck. Any suggestions before i take the TV back? It's such a hastle to drag it back down to the store.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, is the Emerson directly connected to an antenna or is there a cable box or satellite receiver used with it? If yes, is it connected by HDMI? Post back with the model number of the "...new home theatre system..."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We normally have a cable box connected with cable, but the box is currently at our vacation house so when it's there we are connected to our antenna (with cable). The TV works great on our antenna, including the sound. it's just getting it out to the surround sound. I took the new surround system back when it didn't work and am currently hooked up to a spare. it does have a digital audio out connection which we've tried, and the green/blue/red component inputs (which we've tried also). We've also tried going with the older red and white rca cables. The surround sound is a Magnovox DVD video digital surround system MRD 210.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i didn't realize you were back east, i'm on pacific time. if you want to think about it we can take this up tomorrow when i get home from work, which would be about 7 pm your time.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Appreciate the additional information.

Regrettably, it would not work directly; i.e. feed the Emerson's sound to the Magnavox:
  • the Emerson has only DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (COAXIAL);
  • the Magnavox has only analog (L & R / red & white) input jacks.

What is required is for the home theater/surround system to have a Coaxial Digital Input jack. The Magnavox has only DIGITAL AUDIO OUT not input.

A possible workaround is to convert the Emerson's digital audio output to analog. Please click HERE to consider.