Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

How do I hook up my Sony Wega 42 tv without a cable box I

Customer Question

How do I hook up my Sony Wega 42" tv without a cable box? I would like to plug the cable into the tv directly. I am getting no picture. What video settings etc do I need?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, post back with the model number.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi it is a KDF-E42A10
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Offhand, the TV should not be in any VIDEO modes; it should be in TV mode. Check that the cable feed is directly connected to the CABLE terminal at the back of the Sony (not to the VHF/UHF terminal).

Additionally, press the TV/VIDEO button a coupl;e of times to cycle through the sources to get to TV mode and then press the ANT button to get to CABLE input.

Though this model is digital cable capable (QAM tuner), it can only receive unencrypted cable signals without card or box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I was able to get it to some tv, but I only get 5 channels. I have another tv hooked up to my cable without a box and get 100. I don't have any premium channels in my cable subscription. Is there something else I can try?
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
This would be largely depend on the cable provider and if the cable TV signals are still analog or all are digital. Please try connecting the cable feed to VHF/UHF.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had to call the cable company. Your answer wasn't correct. I needed to do a channel search on the tv for it to find the rest of the channels.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Great! Glad that the issue seems to have been resolved.

Good luck and thank you for the update.

This is not an Info Request.