Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.

Sylvania LC320SS9A - Replaced both power circuit boards.

Sylvania LC320SS9A - Replaced both power circuit boards. Now, when the AC cord is plugged in, the Standby LED remains lit (red and steady) an when the power button is pressed, the power LED (green) blinks twice and the unit goes back into standby. Previously, before the circuit board replacements, when the unit was plugged in the power LED (green) would just flash continously and the unit would do nothing. I have changed either one or both circuit boards and the current situation still exists. Some capacitors on the backlight board don't seem to have that great of solder joints but they seem OK. I did remove the 8 pin cable that connects the 2 circuit boards together and the power does not stay on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Steven :

Hi my name isXXXXX may I help you?

Steven :

Are you available to chat ?

Customer:

Yes, How are you?

Steven :

Great, thank you. this Tv has only has the two boards, the main board and the power board with the backlight transformers on it, correct, you changed them both ?

Customer:

Yes I did change them both.

Steven :

then if the led goes green and shuts down and goes back to red you most likely have a bad LCD panel, you have lamps that failed in the panel.

Customer:

Backlighting lamps?

Customer:

What voltage are they so that I may test them individually using a separate voltage source?

Steven :

yest there are lamps that are internal to the panel that to provide back light. if you replaced the power board with backlight transformers and it still shuts down most likely the panel itself is bad.

Steven :

the only voltage you are concerned about is the 24 line on the power board.

Customer:

They backligth lamps cannot be separately replaced? I did not take the unit apart that far.

Steven :

not usually generally speaking when a LCD panel is bad the unit it basicly not worth repairing.

Customer:

Wher is a convieninet test point to measure that voltage?

Customer:

That's what I thought. Perhaps I could find one on Ebay?

Steven :

If you have an occiloscope you can look at the signal from the backlight transformers just place the probe over the transformers, don't touch it, check each one.

Customer:

What frequency do they operate at?

Steven :

I am nopt positive about that but the only thing you are looking for is that they are all the same, if one is higher or lower then there is a problem in the panel.

Customer:

I'm not sure if I want to fix it. It was a gift to my parens that my brother bought them a few years ago. I bought them a new Toshiba, and I took this one home to fix so the didn't have any down time.

Customer:

What's a new LCD panel run for one of these Funai TV's?

Steven :

it doesn't sound like it is going to worth it unless you can find a salvaged panel on line some place

Customer:

OK, that's what I thought. I'll look for a salvage unit (I have had luck with Goodwill Industries in the past, believe it or not).

Steven :

panels for these are not available as far as I no this a funai product and they don't supply them as a replacement part

Steven :

www.shopjimmy.com

Customer:

But another unit with different problems may be an answer. I don't have any schedule to get this done.

Steven :

yes it might be worth holding on to, it is not hard at all to replace the panel

Customer:

Oh well. I'll see what I can find. Is there ant wat to trick it on? (bypass resistor or dummy load as a lamp)?

Customer:

any way*

Steven :

No, thats asking for trouble, thats why they have safty circuits to shut them down.

Customer:

I just wan to confirm that it is a bad LCD panel (bad lamp) before I put any more time into it.

Steven :

This is the thing, you changed the main board and the power board with the backlight inverters, there nothing left. you could verify it with a scope.

Customer:

There are 5 lamps on this unit, correct?

Steven :

yes the board I am looking at has 5 backlight transformers

Customer:

I'll try that. Hate getting the scope out.

Customer:

Thanks for your time. I'll make a decision on what to do after the Steeler game tonight.

Steven :

if you see those signals come up before it shuts down you know the panel is bad.

Steven :

your welcome

Customer:

Have great evening.

Steven :

you too

Customer:

Bye

Steven, Technician
Experience: Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.