Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

Panasonic TC-P50S1 TV. Problem 7 blinking lights on front

Panasonic TC-P50S1 TV. Problem: 7 blinking lights on front of unit. Have replaced SC Board (TNPA4782). There is the SD Board, the SS Board and the SU Board remaining. Which would be the next logical problem area (defective board)?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Rod :

Hi - what are you symptoms? Do you have sound but no picture, or not picture and sound - and it goes to the 7 blinking lights?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unit will power up, which is to say the fans come on. No picture, no sound. After about 10 seconds you can hear a relay click. Fans stop. The light blinks seven times
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Clicking indicates an attempt to startup and getting a signal to shutdown - most likely one of the Upper or Lower Driver boards.

The most common problem with plasma TVs is the scan drivers - one of the upper or lower boards (top half, bottom half of TV). If you have the service manual, you should check the VS and VA voltages on the power supply. If there is a fault with one of the driver (called by many the Y-boards, Y-sustain, Y-Upper, Y-lower). The Vs and Va voltages will be disabled.

Also you can many times look closely at the upper and lower driver boards, there are square chips (buffer chips) that sometimes will have cracks or very small holes in them. If so, that is the likely culprit. Usually only one of the driver boards goes bad. These are what provides the high voltage to the plasma display.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a service manual. Can u assist me on identifying the boards you are refering to? Should there be two of them (one upper, one lower)? What kind of cable should they have? Ribbon? Which would you replace first?
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

The boards are on the left side (from the back). I do not have the service manual for your exact model but a similar model (TC-P50C1) that will help guide you. They do have ribbon cables coming to them from the SC board

I've uploaded the service manual for you here.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The service manual appears as a blank page on my computer.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Do you have Adobe reader on your computer?

Try this link - if you get a pop up asking if it is okay to download say yes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmlot5n19v9r32c

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Rod. got it
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Look the manual over - it should be very close to your model. Probably just some different features.

Thanks,