Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Toshiba Cinema Series TP55G90 - PROBLEM red light keeps blinking,

Toshiba Cinema Series TP55G90 - PROBLEM: red light keeps blinking, no picture or sound. Help!!!!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

How long have you had the set for?

Also, is the light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, then repeat)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Aric...I've had the set since is continuously blinking
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

The flashing light would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

While it's hard to tell 100% for certain what went wrong without performing some tests, it is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $350-$450 to have replaced.

The set definitely requires component testing and replacement in order to get it to function properly again. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've repaired it once a few years back for about $400 and it is over 10yrs old...I guess it's time to wheel it to the curb....thanks for your help, Aric! Have a great day...
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the news. It's likely time for a new set.

If I answered your question, please click "Accept".