Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Hi. Our Philips flat TV wont turn on. When its been on and

Hi. Our Philips flat TV won't turn on. When its been on and working, there's been a small green light lower left on tv. Now there's a small blinking red light and the tv's not responding. Help! Thanks :)
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Can you tell me how long you've had the set for?

Also, is the blinking light continuous, or in a pattern (such as 6 blinks, pause, 6 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Lastly, were there any storms or power outages in your area just prior to this happening?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not sure how long we've had it....3 - 5 years. The blinking red light is in a pattern of

1 long red blink, pause, 4 quick blinks...repeats.

No storms or outages.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

The flashing light code would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets. There is also a small 1/4 watt 100 ohm resistor that is on the power supply that is known to fail.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $350-$450 to have replaced.

The set definitely requires component testing and replacement in order to get it to function properly again. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!