Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My 46 Sanyo tv {LCD} screen is dark on one side and the other

My 46" Sanyo tv {LCD} screen is dark on one side and the other half is just find. Is it worth getting it fixed? Its only about 3 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Is there a gradual fade from good to bad, or is there a definite edge? And is it exactly 50/50?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pretty much a definite line, you can still see the picture but dark and its only in 16" from the left side facing the tv.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Can you take a picture, so I can see for myself? The paper clip icon (just above where you're typing) is the upload tool. It has to be less than 1MB. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no why to take a picture.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just want to know if its worth fixing!
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let's try to narrow it down so I can be more sure about what's going on.

Note: This is not a permanent fix... only a test.

Turn the TV off for awhile so it cools down. Now turn it on, then squeeze the bezel of the TV (the outer trim piece) applying pressure to the TV's display panel, near the affected area.

Does that clear up the screen, even if it's just for the few seconds you have pressure applied?

Respectfully,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant see that it makes any differents. If you touch the screen it will flash for a second, but to just squeeze the bezel nothing!.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, try shining a flashlight into the black side. Make the room very dark first. Does that make the area a little more viewable? Brighter, at least?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No stays the same!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No stays the same!
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
So sorry for the delay! I'm back online now and ready to finish this up.

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions afterward, just ask. Once you're satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback about our conversation, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). Thanks!

Without a decent working knowledge of electronics and test equipment (a voltmeter, at the very least), the only thing you can do at this point is unplug the TV for a few hours. Sometimes these issues are just "glitches" that can be cleared that way.

If this doesn't remedy the issue, you definitely have an internal failure here. Without making any measurements inside the TV, it's tough to say what the issue is but there are only a few parts inside these models that could cause this: The power supply, the main board, or the LCD panel itself.

So if the unplug doesn’t cure this, consider having a tech take a look at this. Some diagnostics wouldn't run more than $100, and most of that would be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired. A typical repair for something like this would be $250-$450.

If you'd like, feel free to post back with your zip code and I'll see if I can find a tech near you.