Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My sound on tv is working but it is skipping what should i

Customer Question

My sound on tv is working but it is skipping what should i do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you.

What is the make and model number (located on the rear of the set), of your TV?

Also, what is connected to it for devices (cable, DVD, VCR, game system), and do all of the devices have problems with the sound? Also, how are the offending devices connected (HDMI cable, AV cables, etc.)?

Lastly, what do you mean by "skip"?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My tv is a 65 inch mitsubshi dlp i have nothing hook up to it.just cable the sound comes on and off for just seconds at a time but it is the whole time the tv is on
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Can you please get the model number located on the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is wd65735 mitsubshi
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much.

Without having another device to test through the TV, it's hard to tell if it's a problem with your Cable provider's signal, or the TV itself.

Do you have a DVD player or another device you can connect to the TV to see if it has the same problem?

Also, are you using a cable box or not?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes i do have a cable box.and it is doing the same thing with the dvd player.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the TV's audio amplifier is starting to fail. This type of repair typically runs around $250 parts and labor. A workaround, would be to purchase a set of self-amplified speakers that essentially bypass the TV's amp and have their own power built in. These will run closer to $150, and have better overall audio quality than the TV's internal speakers.

They would connect to the Audio Output jack(s) on the back of the TV.

If you'd like to instead have the TV repaired, then you can locate a tech at the link below in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have suround sound can i by pass the amp on the tv with this if so how do i hook it up.what in or out puts do i use?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
I need to know the make and model of your surround system in order to give you connection details.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Aric but I found my promble to be the cable box.I do want to thank you for your fast response to my qustions.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

I'm glad to hear you found out what the problem was.

I don't understand how it could've been the cable box if you stated that you had the same problem using the DVD player as well...