Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My Panasonic TV has sound but no picture what should I do

My Panasonic TV has sound but no picture what should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. Does the red LED on the front of the TV flash? If so, how many times before it pauses and flashes all over again?
2. How long have you owned it?
3. Do you plan to repair it yourself, or are you just trying to figure out if it's reparable?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The led light remains steady, no flashing, when there is sound but no picture.

we have had about 4 years

we are trying to figure out if it is broken and if it is repairable

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions afterward, just ask. Once you're satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback about our conversation, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). Thanks!

Ok, I understand. Go ahead and unplug the TV for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Sometimes these issues are just "glitches" that can be cleared by removing power.

If this doesn't remedy the issue, you definitely have an internal failure here. The good news is that everything is reparable; it will boil down to cost. So the real question is: Will repair be cost effective? The answer is... maybe.

There is a short list of possible malfunctions including the power supply, the main board, the scan drive or sustain boards... or even the plasma panel itself. It's tough to say for sure without making any measurements inside.

So if the unplug doesn’t cure this, consider having a tech take a look. Some diagnostics shouldn't run more than $50-$75, but that would be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired. A typical repair here would be $250-$550, unless it's the panel... then repair would not be cost effective; a new panel is far too expensive.

If you'd like, feel free to post back here with your zip code and I'll see if I can find someone close by, ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The unplugging did nothing. We did notice that there was a noticable lightening of the screen when turned on but no picture.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Probably not the scan drive or the panel, then. Could still be the power supply, the main board, or the sustain. We need to troubleshoot, or you need a tech. You choose.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are not close to a tec atleast 2 hours away. Might troubleshooting solve it or identify the problem. How difficult is troubleshooting?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
We need to remove the rear panel of the TV and make some voltage measurements inside. If you don't have a meter we might be able to do some things by sight and touch. If you'd like to do it yourself, go ahead and remove the rear panel and let me know when you're ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou for your help but I think I will go to a tech.
We live in Canada north of Edmonton, Alberta postal code T9S 1S2. Any suggestions as to where I should take it.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Your best bet is to contact Bestech Electronics... http://bestech.ca/

Please click "Accept" at this time. Thanks!

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.