Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

How to I hook up Coby CSMP88 Soundbar to my LCD TV?

I have a LG LCD 1080P and I bought a Coby CSMP88 Soundbar. How do I hook it up to the TV. I tried the red and white jacks in the back of the TV. Their are several of them and I get no sound.

Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

What is the model number of your TV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
50pk550-ud
Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

Your TV does not have audio outputs that will work with that sound bar. The sound bar uses line audio input, which your TV only has a digital optical output.
They do make digital audio to line audio converters that you can use to connect the sound bar to the TV. One is available here.

You will need a digital audio optical cable to connect from the TV to the converter (the digital audio output is on the back of the TV).
Or, you will need a soundbar that has digital optical inputs for that to work. If you would like a recommendation, let me know.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its ok. I just never had used this system before. I appreciate you getting back to me. If I get that converter, will my playstation 3 have sound from it. I use it for movies.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

Yes, anything you play that is connected directly to the TV will playback through the sound bar, using the optical link through the converter to the sound bar.
Thanks,

Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience: FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks a lot. Have a great weekend. I appreciate the help!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still no sound. Got it in the mail today. Hooked up everything right. I cannot change my pcm settings on my TV.

Expert:  Rod replied 4 years ago.

I have checked the technical documentation for your TV model, and I cannot find any PCM setting, although the HDMI cable will process/receive PCM audio. Many TVs allow you to change the optical output, but yours apparently does not.
If you purchased this from Amazon, send it back and get the model that does all audio output source (e.g. 5.1 audio high definition -Dolby). Keep the digital optical cable. This model also available on Amazon.com, does all audio sources and you will not have to convert it to PCM. It is available here, but slightly more cost.
Thanks