Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

I have a Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA. When I turn it on, initially

Customer Question

I have a Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA. When I turn it on, initially I get a gray screen, then I get vertical stripes, and finally after about 10 minutes the normal picture will come up. It is usually OK while watching, but it will now occasionally freeze up and the TV will have to be power cycled. Is this likely a Power Supply, or a Main Board issue?

Thanks,

--Todd
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 3 years ago.

Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

A few things here>>>

Initially the elco capacitors on the powerboard need to be examined visually for going bad either leaking/raised domed tops/ballooning/ like in the photo, whilst your issue may be elsewhere in the set this is the initial thing to do as samsung are reknown for bad capacitors on the powerboard once this is checked out we can move on with it, the powerboard is easy to trace just follow the powercord

Also did the freezing and vertical lines faults appear at the same time?

Does it do this on other inputs like a dvd/bluray?

Anthonygraphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The freezing and vertical lines appeared at different times. The vertical lines are at startup time, while the set is warming up. The freezing (and some pixelation) is happening after the set has operated for some time.

Display is the same on any input, whether Tuner, Satellite box on Composite Video, or BluRay/DVE on HDMI.

Hi

OK well please check them capacitors out on the powerboard like in the photo then we can move on with this as you may have more than one fault especially if the capacitors turn out to be ok

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will check the capacitors tonight, and let you know what I find.
Hello

Yes please do that

Many Thanks for accept

Let me know

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I checked the Capacitors on the Power Supply board, and there was no apparent bulges or splits that I could see. They may still be bad, but it was not apparent. I could change them out with new ones, if you want me to try that first. I will have to order some from digi-key or another supplier, so it would be next week sometime before I could proceed. I would need to know exactly which ones are usual suspects, to know what to order. Thanks, --Todd
Hi Todd

No theirs no need to swop them out if they look physically ok, I needed you to just check this first for elimination purposes.....

The next thing to check is the LVDS lead this is the lead that runs from the mainboard to the tcon board upper middle of the set, its a multi-strand lead, what you need to do is when the fault is apparent you need to get a mirror so you can see clearly the front of the set through the mirror and wiggle this lead to see if it improves the picture or the picture comes on instaed of the grey or vertical lines, if it does not its safe to assume that the LVDS lead is ok

After you have eliminated the LVDS lead....

During the time its grey/vertical stripes please press the menu button of the sets own remote control and let me know if the menu appears

You may have two seperate issues but its looking like the tcon board is faulty this is the upper middle board of the set however the mainboard could be faulty too for the freezing please though carry out the checks above

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry about the delay. I was unavailable for the weekend. I turned on the Tv and wiggled the LVDS lead when the picture was gray. The picture popped right up! It was actually the end closest to the main board. I will let the tv cool down, and try again. I still need to see if it freezes later. Do I need to order a new LVDS cable in the meantime? --Todd
Hi

OK thats great news
What you need to do with that lead is plug it in and unplug it about 4 or 5 times this will break up any residue thats causing attenuation of signal do this both ends but please be careful with the lead its easily broken
This could have been causing the freezing too you will just have to see how it goes once you have cleared this, come back here if it still freezes

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I had the back off the TV for a few days while testing the fix. It would turn on every time without a problem. I put the back on the TV this morning. This evening when I turned on the set, the problem was back. When I removed the back and wiggled the cable, the problem appeared to be fixed again. It was at the TCON end of the cable this time when the picture was returned.

Hi

This is difficult but its either the lead itself or the tcon board, I would suggest you replace the lead first, however it could easily be the tcon so if you want to do both let me know

I will locate the part numbers

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why don't you get me both numbers. I may just go ahead and order both at the same time. Thanks, --Todd

Hi

Here is the tcon I strongly recommend you check the part number on your tcon to make sure its the same, their are many varients of tcon

Still looking for the LVDS lead

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/LN26A450C1DXZA/Samsung/Samsung/BN8101866A/New.aspx

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anthony,

Did you find the LVDS lead for me to purchase? Thanks, --Todd
Hi

No I can't find it at present, I am waiting for the service manual proper for this set, please in the meantime try www.partstore.com or www.encompassparts.com once I have the part number it should be traceable

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anthony,

I ordered the part you recommended. I was expecting a circuit card about 1.5" x 5". I received a
card about .75" x 30" Is this the card you were recommending? The one I received looks to go
across the top of the LCD panel.

Thanks,

--Todd

Hi

I don't know what you have but it does not sound like the tcon your dimensions are about right, the LVDS lead goes right to the tcon which is what I'm referring to?

I can't think what the other board is can you upload some photos?1meg jpeg/gif using the paperclip you should see on your toolbar?

Take one of the area your refering to on the set

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked up the part number of the smaller board. It is v260b1-c04 which also translated to bn81-01865a. It is the LCD control unit. The cable I thought was the LVDS is actually the bn96-07158g p-flat cable assembly. I am guessing the LVDS cable is the short cable that goes between the LCD control unit and the t-con board. It was underneath a shield at the top of the unit. Let me know if you still need pictures.

--Todd
Hi

You will need to upload pictures here as their should only be one board up there the tcon board this drives the display I don't have the service manual as yet for this set so I just can't get my head around what the other board could be, the LVDS lead should run up from the mainboard directly to the tcon?

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I upload or mail the pictures?
Hi

Just email gina@justanswer.com she will pass them onto me please

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent the pictures. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, --Todd
Hi Todd

I see they have added a sub board, I didn't expect that! try this anyhow as it seems to be listed more than the actual tcon itself if it doesnt work take it out put old one back and you will need to get the part number off the actual tcon itself as it doesn't appear to be listed, by the way the screws must be put back in the tcon when running as these ground the board

They should take that sub board back the suppliers, this was not made clear by suppliers and as there was no picture led to wrong board order!, usually its not possible to have another board as the tcon connects up directly with panel

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anthony,

I have not ordered the sub-board.

I do have the t-con board in-hand. I ordered the part you had recommended.

I will try replacing it tonight to see if it helps. There is a return policy on the board,
so I can send it back.

I will let you know.

Thanks,

--Todd

Hi

OK

Let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony,
I finally was able to tear down the set tonight. The t-con board I received is not the correct part. The t-con board in the set is V260B1-X04. The t-con board I received as a replacement is V260B1-XC13.

Since I have to send it back anyway, should I still get a peplacement t-con board? Or should I look into the sub-board as a replacement?

--Thanks

Todd
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 years ago.
Hi

No you need the correct tcon board thats the problem their are so many variants that wont work

Did it fire up ok when you switched on?or did you get no pic

You could really do with replacing the lead too but I simply cant find the part number for this lead

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony,

I did not remove the old t-con and try the replacement. I did not think it wise to remove the original until I had an exact replacement.

I could try replacing it, before I send back the board I purchased. If I remove it, how are the connections made to the LCD panel? The ribbon cables fromt the LCD appear to be connected by adhesive to the t-con board, instead of connected via a mechanical connector. Is this correct? Are there alignment issues to be concerned with?

Todd
Hi

No alignment issues
Is it like a glue if so this is just to keep the ribbon cables stable it will need to come off so you can pull ribbon cables out althoughyou still need to be careful, it will be ok to try that tcon as it could be an upgraded one or compatable one anyhow, the ribbon cables should pull out, this one does seem to be a mix of bad omens its usually easy to replace tcon!!

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony,

I removed the ribbon cables connecting the LCD panel to the t-con board. I was expecting an adhesive on the cables which would allow me to to reattach the to the new t-con board. There is nothing to make the cables stick to the new t-con board. Is there some common adhesive I can buy to reattach the t-con board?

Thanks,

--Todd
Hi

Really?these should have been able to connect to a socket they shouldn't at all be glued to the connectors, I find that really odd as if its a ribbon connector it will pop into a push socket and thats the connection proper
Please take a photo of the old tcon so I can see were the connections for the panel plug in

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just sent the pictures of the connection and the t-con board to Gina for you.

--Todd
Hi

I cant download just yet a problem with my server however I can see the board (little photo) thats not the tcon is it?that looks like that subboard you was talking about earlier, the tcon is the larger board l don't think this board should have been removed its going to be very difficult getting that back again and for the connections to make properly however I will examine in more detail when I look at the bigger pictures

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The replacement t-con is almost the same as the board I removed, a long skinny board, that had the LCD panel connections "glued" onto it. It is the part you had provided me with ordering information on. Your response on the 29th indicated that I should remove the cables so that I could install the new board. On the pictures I sent on the 22nd, you indicated that this "sub-board" was not the t-con.

If there is no way to reattach the LCD, I had better get an RMA for the replacement t-con that I purchased and get it back for a refund.

Thanks,

--Todd
Hi Todd

I'm totally confused by this, certainly the LCD panel should connect to the tcon board (the service manual is no help at all here)however to me that doesnt look like it, I realise we had a discussion on another board being there, and your pulling and wiggling of the lead should have gave you a good clue as to were the problem lay, I can't believe samsung didnt fit plugs on them connections I have never seen a tcon without plug and sockets on, I would expect the tcon to be, I see many many sets and so have to rely on service information very much like a mechanic has to about certain factors of the set, it looks to me like this is some sort of interface board and the tcon will connect to this?
Really annoyed over this, all samsungs are usually straight forward plug in plug out tcon theirs never any runaround like this

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony,

If there is no real way for me to reattach the leads from the LCD panel to either the old or the new t-con, I will have to just go ahead and junk out this TV.

I will return the replacement t-con board I got from partstore.com, so I can at least recover that investment.

This is how I will proceed, unless you have any other suggestions to follow. I have to get the RMA before Saturday.

Thanks,

--Todd
Hi

Well i'm not saying its impossible to re-attach them leads however it will be difficult you could try an quick set epoxy resin type glue so long as the lead makes metal to metal contact with the board .....

Anthony
Hi

I just checked your original photos and the tcon is the bigger board of the 2 just below that interface board this board I don't think is meant to come out why its listed I have no idea as a part

Anthony