Ron, Technician
Experience:  I am an electronics technician with 40+ years experience in consumer electronics repair.

Dynex LCD 42 turns on to black screen, no sound, no buttons

Customer Question

I have a Dynex LCD tv and when i try to turn it on it says Please Wait... (which is normal) then says it is on channel 118.105. The screen is black and if i try to change the channel or turn it off or do anything on the remote or the tv itself, nothing happens. the only way i can turn it off is to unplug/turn the surge protector off. how do i get it working again?
Category: TV
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties but I am here to help. Keep in mind the answers I give depend entirely on the responses you give in return. So please be insightful and patient and maybe together we can solve your problem. Realizing the answers may not be pleasant for you to hear but you are requesting my expertise and I hope you will honor your good faith promise.

Every time you turn your strip off or unplug the tv you are in effect starting the set from day one. Thereby forcing you to auto scan all of your channel selections. Leave it plugged in and auto scan your tuning for channels that are available in your area and if it works normally it should come back on the last channel you turned it off from. If you find that in the morning it continues to go to this 118.105 channel even after you left it plugged in then you are having a circuitry malfunction probably in the main or could be the power supply not staying live for you. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. Please click the ACCEPT button as this is how we are paid as experts our commission from your good faith deposit and consider leaving positive feedback. Do not hesitate to ask if you are in need of further assistance and please let me know if this resolves your problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I have a couple questions back to you before i can move on. When i turn the tv on, none of the buttons on the tv or on the remote are functional so i can't even get to my menu to do a channel scan. What do you think, considering that.

Also as a side note, we no longer have the original remote (dies about 3 months ago) and have been using a universal remote. I recently updated the codes on it, would that have any effect?

Also, the day the tv died, there were men out front working on the power lines, could that have impacted our situation?

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for these crucial and beneficial additions to your questions. Yes power fluctuations could have caused this concern. The inability to control front panel buttons is not normal unless you have turned the keypad off, which i am not sure you model even does. You may be concerning yourself with the power supply not providing proper voltages and/or malfunctioning main board. This would explain your loss of channels for a while.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Considering your thoughts on the power supply, do you have suggestions of next steps for me? Also you mentioned "loss of channels for a while", does that mean you expect them to come back?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Observe your power supply for stressed capacitors with bulged tops, this is a visual indication of a stress in the supply. Replace these capacitors always observing correct farad rating and temperature rating, but if able increase the voltage rating. I don't expect them to come back until the problem is repaired.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. The good news is that i unplugged all the cords this weekend and then plugged the tv back into the wall and it worked! So looks like it just needed a reset of some sort and hopfully we will get some more years out of it
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Glad to hear unplugging it again finally worked to reset.