Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Samsung LCD HDTV and it wont recognize my cable box.

Customer Question

I have a Samsung LCD HDTV and it won't recognize my cable box. I've made sure that the cables are all properly connected and I've tried completely unplugging everything and turning it on again. It's on the blue screen and says "Not Supported Mode" All the other inputs on the TV work fine
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-How is the cable box hooked to the tv?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Model Number is HLS6186W. The TV is pretty old, I can't say exactly but definitely at least 5 or 6 years old. The cable box is hooked up by the HDMI cable connected to the TV. Also, on the cable box, it is set at 480i even on the hidef channels when I know it's supposed to be 1080i. I don't know if that makes a difference but thought i should share. I don't know how to put it back to the other setting
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
what if you try something other than HDMI like component cables?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have an extra set of cables and I'd rather fix the problem with the HDMI since I pay for an HD cable box every month. What does "Not Supported Mode" mean. Usually when the inputs are off it just says "No Signal"