bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.
22516588

I need to know how to do a factory reset on a Vizio E370VL

Customer Question

I need to know how to do a factory reset on a Vizio E370VL Tv when the power will not stay on.
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

Which "codes" have you messed with?
What were you doing when adjusting "codes"?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IT asked for a parental control password..We just turned off tv. Vizio says it messed up factory codes
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Manual LINK

What input (cabling) method are you using from your signal?

Are you able to switch to HDMI or Component input immediately after turning on??

Does the screen say anything before switching off?
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Your TV may also be set to an inactive input.

After powering on the TV, press the INPUT button on your remote repeatedly until a picture
re-appears.

If this does not work, try it a second time but press the button slower this time; it can take as long as 30 seconds for the image to reappear.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, that doesn't work. The tv turns off right after I turn it on. Vizio tech support says we have to do a factory reset.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, Vizio "support" are call-center Gurus reading from scripts.

Please read the following from a different Forum:

"I am posting this on behalf of a friend. Back in April, they purchased a Vizio E370VL HDTV from Wal-Mart. It is connected to a Mediacom digital cable box via an HDMI cable. The cable box is the only accessory connected to the TV.

Earlier this week, the TV began to exhibit an odd behavior; it will not turn on. Specifically, it will not stay on when you turn it on. What happens is the following:

When you press the power button, the Vizio logo beneath the screen changes from orange to white. The screen also turns on and displays the Vizio logo, as if the little computer inside is "booting up". However, after only a few seconds, the screen goes black and the logo beneath the screen turns orange again, as if the TV has turned off. It does this regardless of whether you attempt to turn on the TV either with the remote or the controls on the side of the TV, and it does it every time you try to turn on the TV.

The obvious fixes have already been attempted to no avail; unplug the TV for 10 minutes, disconnect anything connected to the TV, perform a factory reset, none of it worked. The results from several Google searches all suggested that most likely the power board and/or the main processor board has failed. Since it appears it is most likely a physical or electrical failure, and since the TV is still under warranty, most likely it will end up being sent in for repair.
"

I suggest the same is happening in your set. There are no factory "settings" you could change that would cause a shutdown condition... as RESET ALL SETTINGS to factory parameters is accessed in the TV menu - which you are unable to reach if the power does not stay on.

There is an internal failure (or firmware issue) that will require repair if a Hard reset does not work.

There are a few different methods on Vizio sets - as the manufacturer is not consistent throughout the lines.

First you must enter service mode - then look for a Reset option:

Method 1

1. Turn The TV off.
  2. Press and hold the {CH +} & {CH -} buttons on the TV.
  3. Then press and release the {POWER} button on the TV.
  4. Release the {CH +} & {CH -} buttons.
  5. Now press the {MENU} button on the remote.
  6. You should get your regular menu up, but with a "F" in the bottom right corner of the menu (This if for factory).
  7. Press and hold the {MENU} button for few seconds.
  8. The Service Menu will be displayed.

Method 2

1. Turn The TV off.
  3. Then press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV.
  4. Keep all three buttons pressed for few seconds.
  8. The Service Menu will be displayed.
This same hard reset can be accomplished by unplugging the set for 2 hours - and during the unplug period - hold down the POWER button for 1 minute. While re-plugging to wall - also hold the power button.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of these answers were helpful. I already had all these answers offif normal Google searches. I was thinking that maybe you had sone inside tech info that may be helpful.