Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Hi! My Sharp LCD TV stopped working.

Customer Question

Hi! My Sharp LCD TV stopped working. The screen suddenly blacked out and now it wont turn on.  The power supply has been changed and so has the 4 back light inverters.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

-Sorry for the delay, do you still need assistance with this?

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Sorry for late reply. I just noticed that you requested more funds to answer my question. Unfortunately, I really almost cannot afford to have this fixed. The deposit I made for $14 was almost too much for my bank account.

My main question right now is if the bulb inside the tv can be replaced. Someone told me that it is too expensive so I might as well buy a new tv. Somebody else told me that it is replaceable for just $100 and it solves the problem. If the answer is going to be first one (too expensive), then I dont think I can give you a bonus. I've spent almost $200 on what the Sharp repair people tell me CAN fix the problem, but nothing's worked. Im so frustrated and I dont like how people charge so much and not fix the problem.

I can understand if what I can offer you is too little that you dont want to deal with it; but if there's any hope that this tv can still be fixed for a reasonable amount of money (not for the price of a brand new one) then I will do my best to accommodate your request for more $$.

Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Actually I think another expert requested more funds, I never do and am fine helping you at the level you choose.

There is no bulb in this set that can easily be replaced, whoever told you that is confused with dlp/lcd projection sets, those have bulbs in them. Yours has a LCD panel, no bulb.

Can you tell me more about the symptoms of your set? when you turn it on, what does the light on the front do? If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow? what other symptoms does it have?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I accidentally clicked the "Accept Answer", I hope you reply to my additional info... Here's what I noticed.

The power light in front blinks

I dont see a slight glow on the screen

When the tv blacked out,

First, I was watching a show from the DVR, 10 mins into the playback, it turned off. I thought there was a ghost in my house.

I then tried to turn it back on with the remote and it did for 2 seconds tops and turned itself off again.

The second time I tried it wouldnt turn on anymore. Only the blinking power light was on.

So far, that's the only info I have. I wonder if some of the parts were really broken, the tech person just didnt know what they were doing when they were replacing the different parts?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I think everything you replaced was not needed, it sounds like you have a defective LCD panel here, which makes the tv non-repairable due to cost. The panel on your set runs about $1500 just for the part.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your time. It was what I was dreading to hear. You're right, for that price, might as well buy a new one.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, sorry I did not have great news.

Tim