Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My Viore flat screen HDTV suddenly wont show a picture

Customer Question

My Viore flat screen HDTV suddenly won't show a picture. The sound is still there but no picture. Is it worth trying to get it serviced and where can this type of service be done?  I think the Model No. is PDP45V101HV
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Ok, please make the room as dark as possible and be sure the TV is turned off. Get a good look at how black the screen is, then turn it on. Do you notice a slight change in the darkness of the screen? Did it change from pitch black to dark gray?

Also, can you bring up the TV's on screen menu?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dan, This test is extremely hard to do-given the room it is in at the moment. It has lots of windows (floor to ceiling) and there are only curtains on a few of them.) I did try this last night- to see if there was any light on the screen however. The only time I saw even a glimmer of light (along the top of the screen) was when I cycled the MTS button on the remote. It seemed to slightly flicker a bit along the top of the screen when I did this- one time- but could not get it to repeat this. I can try this dark room technique later tonight but it is still bright and sunshiny here right now, so no can do at the moment. Anything else I can try?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And no- I cannot get the on screen menu to show.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Run the tests again when it's dark... they're important.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. It won't be dark here for about 3 hours or more (I am in Seattle), Will try to see if I can darken the room with sheets or something, or when my son comes home we can move the tv to another room to see if I can run the test there. Will get back to you as soon as I can run the test.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I tried it and I see absolutely no light on the screen at all.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Please read this whole post. If you have more questions afterward, just ask. Once you're satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback about our conversation, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). Thanks!

Ok, thanks.

There are a few possible issues here. First, the usual suspect for symptoms like this is the scan drive board. We have also seen things like this caused by a bad power supply, main, or sustain board. There's also a slight chance you have a bad panel, but that'd be more rare.

The good news is that all of these except the panel would be a cost effective repair. Typical repair bill here would run $350-$550. We just can't know for sure what the issue is, without getting inside the TV to troubleshoot a bit.

If you have some basic tools and a multimeter, I can help you narrow this down. Otherwise, you'll need a technician here. If that's the route you're going to take, please post back with your zip code and I'll see if I can find someone reputable around you, ok?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have the basic tools and can get a multimeter. Would it be possible for me to do the repairs myself if we were able to narrow the problem down to a specific board or would I still need to take it to a repair person to have the work done? Meaning, would I need special soldering equipment to make the repair or is it like a PC where you can plug in new components?
From a sustainability perspective (environmentally) I don't want to just throw the TV away if it can be repaired and I or someone else could still use it. But I also do not know if it financially makes sense for me to make the repair if it costs $550, say, when for that money I could replace the type of unit I have with something comparable or slightly better for the same or just slightly more money. 780p units are pretty inexpensive now. But if I can do the repair myself or have it done, is it likely that something else in the unit will go out within the next year that it makes doing this repair not worth doing? If you understand my question.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
No soldering, just connectors and screws. Not too bad if you have some mechanical inclination. Regarding sustainability, I agree with you... I don't recommend tossing the TV in a landfill. Either repair it or donate it. You could also disassemble and sell the parts.

If repairs are on the high side of my estimate, I also agree with you that it wouldn't be cost effective considering how cheap these things are nowadays.

To start repair yourself: First, you're going to need to remove the TV's rear panel. Then, find the main power supply board... it'll be the first circuit card you find while tracing the input power cord. Once there, find test points or pins for "Vs" and "Va"... then measure the DC voltage on each pin, using any exposed chassis metal for ground. Compare your measurements to the sticker/placard near the board, and let me know if either is abnormal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to get a multimeter and unfortunately that will take a little time (an hour or so- I am currently custodial parent to two of my grandchildren and they are not up yet- so I can't go get it til they are awake and ready for the excursion.) I would like to pay you for what you have already done however. If I pay you and need more help later, is there a way that I can resume this and get more help from you specifically if I need it (and I would of course pay you again). Don't know how this works exactly- if they refer you to whomever is the next one in the queue or if I can request to get more assistance from you. You were very helpful and patient. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
No rush, I'll be here all day... on and off. If you'd like to pay now, that's fine... you can always return later, and we can continue whenever you're ready. Just click the green "Accept" button. Any questions about this same issue will be included in your first payment. If you have questions about any other topics, you can click here to post a new one.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We took the back off and I can see the power supply board but cannot tell where the test points are for Vs and Va. My son is discouraging me from going further, mostly because there is a crackling noise coming off of one of the components (a large silver box shaped component that looks like it has fins on it to dissipate heat). Maybe you could recommend a reputable repair person in the area. My zip code is 98109.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
I understand. There are a few places near you... HDTV Repair Service is good, call first... XXX-XXX-XXXX.