Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Dynex Tv has no picture, black screen. Volume is good. Model

My Dynex Tv has no picture, black screen. Volume is good. Model #DX-22LD150A11. TV is only a couple of years old. Is there anything I can try to get the picture back.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing when I push the menu button. No other devices are hooked up to the TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
If you look at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not that I can tell. A few weeks ago I thought I saw a slight image but sure. Now I can't see anything.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I felt is was an internal problem. I didn't know if it may have an internal fuse or something like that. I am a fireman and a master electrician. So I feel I have some troubleshooting abilities. I didn't want to open it up before I spoke with someone. Thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Definitely not going to be a fuse...but if you want to check into it, let me know I will be happy to help you.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I open it up what should I look for

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
What you need to do is remove the back cover and inspect the power supply for any capacitors that have bubbled tops. Let me know what you find....If you are unsure what you are looking for you can post a picture to me and I will inspect for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the paper clip on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok give me a few minutes

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before I open up the back I just shut the TV off and then back on. For a brief time I did see the words please wait then they disappeared. Anyu chaange in our thought process
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
was it bright or faint?

TIm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could clearly read it but it was quick. I would lean more to the bright side

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Its sounds more like a bad LCD panel...but I would still check the caps.
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I will open it up now
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds good.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Open it up and found nothing I would say looked bad. It is now beyond my knowledge level
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok well I think you have a bad panel at this point anyway, which will be a non-repairable item.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.