Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

I have a 50inch plasma vizio and it keeps shutting off. I

I have a 50inch plasma vizio and it keeps shutting off. I have to unpulg it and plug it back in and still shuts off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

What is the model number of the Vizio (located on the back of the set)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it says vp50 hdtv
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. What color is the Vizio logo on the TV when it shuts itself back off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It doesn't light up. The light on the lower right hand corner of the tv that indicates on or off, shows orange when it's off and green when it's on. If it shuts off the light will remain green. When I unplug it and plug it back in the light flashes from orange to green and keeps flashing for about 30 sec or so

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Additionally, have there been any storms or power outages in your area recently?

Has the TV ever done this before?

Do you have any experience measuring live voltages with a multi-meter on a circuit board level?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought the tv from some one off of craigslist and he told me it did this but after the tv had been on straight for 12 hours. the tv worked fine for like a week and I never had any problems and now it flickers on and then may stay on and may turn right back off. I have no experience with meter measuring and i don't think I have a voly measurer anymore. I live in florida and there are storms everyday. But since i have had the tv we have not had any power outages
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. The reason the TV was starting to do that is that it had a component failing on one of the boards internally. These problems gradually get worse until the set simply does not power on at some point. The problem is most likely related to the power supply board, or possible the main board having a short and causing the power supply to go into safe mode. To determine exactly what it is on your own, would require measuring live voltages inside the set and is not for the faint of heart.

There's a good chance that this problem is simply that the power supply capacitors need to be replaced (common in these sets), and would run you around $150 at a service center. At the worst case, the power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced which would run you closer to $400-$500 parts and labor.

Please use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Asked me if I knew how to read a volt meter. My tv turns off and when i go to turn it on it flikers.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Yes I asked you if you had a multi-meter which would be required to locate the problem 100% for sure on this set. Beyond that, nobody else is going to be able to give you any further advice that is not a guesstimate aside from locating a Tech. There is no button sequence or reset that will allow this set to operate properly again. What further answer do you require?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I turn the tv on it flikers a little could it be a bulb that is on the fritz

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

You never said previously anything about flickering. You said that the set would shut off.

What exactly is flickering if you're not able to get the set to stay on?

I'm trying the best I can to understand your question so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tv or the picture I suppose you could say. When I turn it on sometime it stays on and some time it shuts back off. When it does turn on it flikers then come on
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

I understand what you're saying now. There unfortunately is no bulb in a Plasma to replace. There are only bulbs in DLP, rear projection and CRT TV's. There is a Scan Drive board that powers and lights the screen. The power supply powers this board. The problem you're having is due to one of these boards being faulty. It would still require the boards to be tested and determined which is faulty, then replacement to allow the set to function properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roughly how much is the part. The person I bought the tv from said it was like $80. And i did buy it for a good deal and would rather replace a part then buy a new one. So would you just replace it or what
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

What I'm stating is that the Scan driver boards, or the Power supply, or even the main board could be the problem. The person who sold you the TV would have absolutely NO way of knowing unless he measured voltages with a meter on the outputs of the power supply board to determine if:

A) The Scan Driver board(s) are shot.

B) The Mainboard is shorted.

C) The Power supply is not outputting it's spec'd voltages.

I could tell you that the Power Supply board is around $100, and the other boards cost more. Here is a link to the boards from Vizio, but again, without testing them inside your TV with it powered up, you would be shooting in the dark as far as replacement,

http://www.vizparts.com/product.php?vid=5&tid=1227

Again, the best course of action at this point is to locate a Tech at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.