Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671
TV

My 42 Inch Sanyo Tv wont turn on. It makes the noise like

My 42 Inch Sanyo Tv... Show More
My 42 Inch Sanyo Tv won't turn on. It makes the noise like it's coming on, but I don't get a picture. Then it turns off and turns back on and repeats the cycle. Model # XXXXX
Category: TV
replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Can you describe the noise you're hearing? Is it clicking?

Respectfully,
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

Yes it's the clicking noise it makes when the TV is turned on and then the same clicking noise when the tv is turned off.., but no picture.

Debbie.

Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Debbie... thanks.

Read this whole post. If you have more questions after that, just ask. Once you're satisfied, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid).

Ok. What you have here is very common... I see it everyday. The capacitors on the power supply have failed. There's a slight chance of a bad main board here, but that's very rare.

If you want to repair this yourself, I recommend you start by examining the power supply board. It will be the first circuit board you run into if you trace the input power cord.

Look and smell for burnt or open components, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. If any of them are bulging/swollen (not perfectly cylindrical), domed (not totally flat on top), or leaking... they are faulty and will need to be replaced. You can get capacitors from Radio Shack, Fry's, etc. or websites like mcmelectronics.com, mouser.com, or digikey.com.

Else, consider replacing the whole board. It will be slightly more expensive as far as parts are concerned... but will save you on labor. You'd need to remove the rear panel and get the part number from the board itself so you know you're ordering the right one. Encompassparts.com should have new ones; moduslinkptstvboards.com should have refurbished ones.

If you don't want to repair this yourself, feel free to post back with your zip code and I'll see if I can find a good tech in your area.

Respectfully,

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

I will try and fix it myself, but just in case I can't I would like that repair information. My zip code is 95219. Thank you for your help.

Debbie.

Valley Electronics is in Isleton, and Parson's TV is in Oakley. I don't have contact info for either, but I'm sure you can look them up. Also consider Sears, their techs are usually pretty good...(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
So I got the back of the tv off, but I can't tell if there is a bad capacitor. They all seem to look the same to me. Also, when i try to turn the tv on with the button on the side it doesn't work. Is there a way to uplaod pictures so that you can see them? I could take a picture of the back of the tv.
Yes, you can post a picture. Make sure it's close up of any board that has a capacitor on it. We'll be looking for something like this:
graphic

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Ok, well It's taking forever for my pictures to download. However, I did not see anything like what was in the picture you sent me. If it's not a capacitor, then you said it might be a bad main board. How do I tell if that is the case? How much is that going to cost?
Even if the capacitors don't *look* bad, I would still replace the power board before moving to the main. If the picture is > 1MB, it won't upload here. You can upload to www.wikisend.com and give me a link, though.

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
It's pretty tough to see, but they look OK to me. As I said, though, capacitors (all components, really) can be bad without looking bad... so my recommendation stands. Replace the power board.

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you Dan.
You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.