Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

How do I set up my HD tv to my DVD/VCR combo, and get them

Customer Question

How do I set up my HD tv to my DVD/VCR combo, and get them to play, with out cable or dish services. The tv is a Viore HD LCD and the combo is a Akai VRD 100.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, post back with the TV's model number. Similarly, please re-confirm the DVD/VCR combo model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tv is a Viore and the model number is XXXXX

The dvd/vcr is an Akai and the model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
For some reason, there is no information available on an Akai VDR100.

Still, in most combo units, the prescribed connection would have to make use of the yellow jack composite VIDEO OUT + the red & white AUDIO OUT L & R jacks to similarly colored input jacks of the TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 1 set of colored jacks conected to both tv and the dvd/vcr combo.I also, have a digital antanna conected to the tv.What are the next steps?
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
With the yellow + red & white RCA to RCA AV cables connected from the DVD/VCR combo to the TV with jacks ^ plugs color matching, play a known to be good DVD movie disc. Using the TV's original remote control, press the SOURCE button a couple of times to cycle through the available choices (of external sources). Depending on the model of the remote, the SOURCE button may be labeled as INPUT, VIDEO, TV/VIEO, AV, EXT, INPUT SELECT, INPUT SEL, AUX or a term to that effect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put a tape into the vcr.I set the tv to AV with the tv remote and pressed play on the vcr,with it's remote, and nothing happened.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
No video, no audio but the tape counter counts?

Please review the connections, jacks and plugs color matching.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On the tv I matched the red with the r, the yellow with the y and the white with the av. On the vcr/dvd I matvhed the Yellow with the y, at the top next to the word video, the white next to the word audio in the middle and the red at the bottom next to the r. The plug in sites were also, colored coded.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
The Y should not be used. The Y is part of the component video including the PB & PR. The yellow plug should be connected to the yellow jack.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All the colored plugs match their colored jacks. There is still no picture. What should I do?

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
If no picture, is there at least sound?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not receiving anything . The vcr counter is the moving.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
With the VCR playing, press on the TV remote's SOURCE button a couple of times with slight pauses in between.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Or try the AV or even the YPBPR buttons. Again depending on the remote, the ENTER button may have to be pressed after each press of a button.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pressed the source button several times, the AV button and pressed enter after each time, still no picture.The screen flashes NO SIGNAL.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
To my understanding, there is only 1 pair of red & white at the rear of the TV hence at any selection of the SOURCE AV or YPBPR, there would always be audio. Since it would be most unlikely for all 3 cords of the cable to go bad at the same time, then the suspect would either be the VCR (least likely) or the input circuitry of the TV (most likely).

To determine which, try another AV source such as another DVD or VCR or try the Akai on another TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have another tv vcror dvd.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
I understand. With the unavailability of other devices and only should you venture to try...

Remove all connections. Connect one end of the red & white plugs/cables to the red & white jacks of the TV. Touch just the very tip of the other end's RCA plugs. Cycle through the selections of SOURCE, AV or YPBPR. There should be a humming sound on the TV (raise the volume a bit). This is a test for the functionality of the TV's input circuitry and the RCA to RCA cables.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trying to help me. I called a friend of mine to hook it up for me
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Great. Glad as it would seem that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Appreciate the update.

This is not an Info Request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vcr is now working, but the dvd is not. Each time I put in a disk it says" incorrect disk" on the screen and "Err" appears on the dvd. What is wrong?
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Two possibilities:
  • dirty/faulty DVD laser lens;
  • regional restriction.

A lens cleaner similar to those shown HERE may be tried (if have not been done). Regional restriction would pertain to the limitation of the DVD player to be able to play DVDs from its designated region only.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dvdbooklet says" This unitbapplies to DVD discs from Region 1 or Region All. The loaded Disc ( DVD, Audio-CD and MP3-CD) will be recognized automatically.

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Then either a dirty or a failed laser and/or its mechanism.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX going to get some DVD Drive Cleaner.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Copy that. Post an update when possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I purchased a dvd cleaner from Radio Shack, their brand, and it did not work. I still get "incorrect disc" on the tv screen and "Err" on the dvd player.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, if not dirty then a failed laser and/or its mechanism.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the lens located inside of the DVD player?
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
In the representative image below, the laser lens is the circular glass eye left of the black spindle. It is mounted on a platform / carriage that slides along guide rails.

graphic