Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

Unable to operate Vizio TV through remote

Customer Question

No remotes work on my 48" Vizio TV. Reset TV. All batteries are good. No obstructions.

Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 years ago.

I will need the model number of the set found on the back please?
So you have other remotes that work the vizio, did they all stop working at the same time please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, they all stopped working at the same time. Direct TV and the Vizio remote.

Ok, please just check the sets own remote (the Vizio) by pointing it at a digital or cellphone camera, look through the viewfinder at the remote and press a button; you should see a glow from the remote "eye".
Let me know about this to confirm for sure that the remote is indeed working.

Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Remotes still not working!!!

So I guess you checked the remote through a digital/cellphone camera and the original remote is working?
If that is the case the receiver "eye" inside the set isn't receiving signals, probably because its dry jointed on the board. The set will need the back to come off to gain access to the receiver board and a blanket solder of the connections on the board carried out; as they can get dry on this board. Do you think you can do this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just walk me through it...I'll give it a shot.

Well that is not easy to do. You do need initiative to do this and have a degree of practical ability.
What you need to do is remove the back of the TV set to gain access to the receiver board (little board in front of set with the eye on). Get this board out and usually one plug goes to it but could be two. Flip it over and re-solder all the connections on the board including the receiver "eye" connections. Then replace and re-try the remote control.
I must stress though you must confirm that the remote is working as I outlined above.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked all the remotes and saw the glow in each of them.

That is fine, now carry on with that other work. Let me know if you have trouble but its very easy to spot the receiver board. Its smack in the front of the set and has the distinctive "eye" on it.