Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Sony WEGA Trinitron KD 34XS955 where sometimes the

I have a Sony WEGA Trinitron KD 34XS955 where sometimes the picture and sound are on, sometimes they're not (which is what is happening the majority of the time). When the sound/picture are on, everything looks/sounds fine. When they're not on, there is a red light blinking on the front that blinks whether the power is on or off. In the owner's manual, there was mention of a timer being on makign the red light blink like described, whch I have checked and there is no timer on. We have tried unplugging the TV to let it "reset". We also had our cable TV checked to make sure it was OK. The cable guy thought it was our DLP lamp but, in watching a video on how to replace a lamp in a Sony Wega, the configuration of the TV shown was different than my model. I love the TV but not enough to spend hundreds on to get fixed!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
About 99% of the time this problem is caused by two IC's in your model. These parts control the regulation circuit of the power supply and must be replaced to fix your set. This is a delicate and dangerous job best left to a professional. If you have a repairman fix this for you, you can expect a bill of around $200-$300 to repair this set.

However if you have electronic repair experience, test equipment and know how to solder very well, then I will be more than happy to help you repair this set.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, but unfortunately it will require component replacement to get it running again. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so do you feel it definitely would not be the DLP lamp since when it does work the picture is fine?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No sorry, ...I don't think its a DLP lamp because you do not have a DLP lamp, you don't have a DLP tv. You have a CRT direct view tv, its not a DLP.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.