PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

I have a philips lcd tv type 37PFL7662D/12. Since a couple

I have a philips lcd tv type 37PFL7662D/12. Since a couple of months the screen is showing dark shadows very local on the screen. Mostly at the left side.
when we hit slowly the tv sometimes it disappears.

but it always comes back.

is it worthwhile to repair or what do you advice?

thanks in advance
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.

PramitP :

Hello, Welcome to Justanswer.

PramitP :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

PramitP :

Can you tell me how old the TV is?

Customer:

my tv is about 3 years old so out of garantee

PramitP :

That is what I wanted to know as it seems to be a panel problem.

PramitP :

It is a dark shadow which covers images or do you get only color distortions?

PramitP :

Does it happen on other sources too, like a DVD player?

Customer:

It covers images but at the moment i do not know if it happens when we play a dvd

PramitP :

Ok, this sounds like a backlight problem. There are two possibilities.

PramitP :

One could be a fault in the inverter board. This is the board that is responsible to supply power to the backlight

PramitP :

It has many tiny components on it like capacitors and resistors whose values will have to be checked so as to confirm the cause of problem.

PramitP :

The only other possibility is the panel itself.

PramitP :

In that case the repair would be very costly, infact more than the cost of the TV itself.

PramitP :

So, what I would recommend is, get a service technician to examine the inverter board. It most likely seems to be a problem in this case. You can get it fixed or replace the baord if that is the case.

PramitP :

If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Regards

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help. Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated

Customer:

nevertheless, it is worthwhile to let it examine by a technician?

PramitP :

Of course it is. It seems to be an inverter board issue. If that is the case then your repair should be done within $150-$180. You can continue using the TV then. But in case the panel is bad then it is wiser to go buy a new TV.

PramitP :

What you can do maybe, if take it to a local service center and ask for only a diagnosis especially of the inverter board. If that is fine then it is the panel. This way you will end up paying only the diagnosis costs which is less than $50 at a local store.

PramitP :

Regards

Customer:

thank you for your information

PramitP, Technician
Experience: Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University