Frank the tv man
Frank the tv man, Technician
Experience:  15 years of TV repair experience

We cant turn on our Samsung plasma TV (hps4253x/xaa), purchased

We can't turn on our Samsung plasma TV (hps4253x/xaa), purchased in 2006 from Best Buy. I tried to turn it on using the power button directly below the screen. (Normally we use the remote.) When I pressed the power button, the blue light went off and nothing more happened. I've checked the outlet. Everything else (DVD, cable box) is working fine. We have a service contract with Geek Squad/Best Buy, but they can't get here for several weeks. Am I missing something really simple? Kathleen
Category: TV
Expert:  Frank the tv man replied 5 years ago.
Does the audio come up? Is the cable box on? Make sure the tv remote is set to tv. Try unplugging it from the outlet then plugging it back in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, there is no audio. Yes, the cable box is on (and goes on and off appropriately, using its own remote). I've tried the unplugging-replugging--no luck. Yes, the remote is set to TV, but that doesn't work nor does using the switch below the screen.

Prior to this episode, the "blue light" around the power switch was on when TV was "off." Normally we used the cable remote to turn on all components (TV, cable box, DVD) or occasionally the TV's own remote, but this time I used the power button instead. The blue light went off; and from then on, it's been completely unresponsive.

Can you help? Thanks!

I think there is a problem with the Y drive or the Y sustain. Can you turn the tv off and on but there is no picture displayed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. Can't get any sign of life at all. Normally, when you turn on the TV using the remote, a blinking red light appears until the picture shows up on the screen. Currently there is no red light, no blue light, no clicking sound--no indication at all that the TV is connected to any sort of power source.

(Thanks for replying!)

[FYI, it's 8:00 p.m. in Oregon, and we have to go out for an hour or two. I will look for your reply ASAP when we return.]

I guess the obvious things to check would be the power cord is securely plugged in to the back of the tv and the outlet is working correctly. Other than that you probably need a power supply. If you have a service contract there probably is not a need for you to do the repair yourself. I would contact your service provider and ensure they have the part when they arrive.