Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Vizios sound keeps going up and down on its own.

My Vizio's sound keeps going up and down on it's own.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model #VW46L FHDTV20A. We purchased it in December of 2008. We watch it through satellite most of the time. We also have it hooked up to the DVD player but rarely watch anything with that.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Can you test a DVD and see if it is doing the same thing for me?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I asked other family members if we have the sound problem when a DVD is played and they said no. I have been playing a DVD the last 10 minutes and have not had the sound problem.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you might have a problem in the satellite box then. Try this first...

Turn the tv on so you have a picture.
While it is on unplug the satellite box from the wall
Let it sit 5 mins
Plug it back in.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some audio problems in these boxes, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do that. However, this sound problem is very random so I may not know if this solved the problem for a while. Do you keep record of where we are at if this problem is not solved?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
You can bookmark this page and post back here any time you need.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, Thank you.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, let me know when you get a chance.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The sound on my TV worked great for a few days. Then last night, the sound went out completely.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No sound on any device?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have sound when we play DVDs. Not when we watch TV.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like your satellite box is bad to me....that is what I had suspected from the beginning and now with sound on dvd and no sound on satellite it looks more like that is the case.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I will call the satellite company and see if they can help me. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know what happens.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Finally! After calling the satellite company, we discovered it was a bad cable connection to the satellite. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Glad you got it going! I didn't think it was a tv problem.

Let me know if you need anything in the future.

Please remember the ACCEPT button when done.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.