Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a RCA large screen tv.model#p46130wk, serial#311580093,

Customer Question

I have a RCA large screen tv.model#p46130wk, serial#311580093, manufactured on March 1993. While the tv was on it made a sound like a gas leaking out and then it made a large popping sound. Upon further inspection when the on/off button is pushed, it sparks at which looks like the end of a wire that is attached to the bottom of a bulb and at that point it appeared to have a small amount of liquid. Is this fixable.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Hi!

First understand that the sparks and noise you are seeing are very dangerous. You need to be careful, this set feeds the tubs with tens of thousands of volts and that is the circuit your issue is in.

Now as for the problem, if you have fluid leaking then it is probably fixable, however probably not economical. To repair this the circuit board will need to be fixed first, and then the tube will need to be rebuilt to stop it from leaking again. All in all this normally runs around $400-500.

However, with all that said, we would never recommend a repair on a set with the age of yours and this is why…. See when these sets get old they become brittle, just opening them up and moving he boards around to do the repair can cause 5 more problems next week, solder connections are prone to letting go and becoming bad just from moving it around. The components inside the set also have connections in them smaller than the hair on your head and these can let go just from being moved around. In addition to this parts availability starts to become a problem, if you got it repaired now and then in a week you had another problem and they couldn’t get the parts needed you would have wasted your money on the first repair and still have to throw the tv away.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan