Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.
59014109

My 47 vizio hdtv keeps blacking out and the only way to get

My 47" vizio hdtv keeps blacking out and the only way to get it to come on again is to unplug it. how can i stop this from happening?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 5 years ago.

Steven :

Hi my name isXXXXX may I help you?

Customer:

Hi Steven. I have a vizio tv that keeps shutting down and the only way to get it to start up again is to unplug it

Steven :

Ok, first off do you have the model number of the Tv ?

Customer:

it is an M420SV?

Customer:

I'm not positive where to find the number

Steven :

That looks like it might be right let me check

Steven :

Ok this like a new Tv, how old is it ?

Customer:

2-3 months old

Steven :

oh wow, still under warranty so see if we can determine if the problem is a defect in the Tv or something else.

Customer:

sounds good, how do we do that

Steven :

whe you say blacks out, does it shut completely off, no sound no picture any leds flash ?

Customer:

no sound no picture no flash

Customer:

it has "vizio" under the screen that lights up white when on and yellow when off but the light just goes out on the name as well

Steven :

when it comes on there must be a LED indicator telling you it is on, does the light stay on ?

Steven :

Ok sorry, you answered as I was asking

Customer:

not a problem. the blackout also occurs when a commercial starts in a tv show, or a cinematic fram takes place in a video game

Steven :

Ok but when it happends the vizio light goes back to yellow like the unit is in stanby again

Customer:

sort of, it has a little backlight but not as bright as it would be were I to turn it off on purpose

Customer:

the tv still hums like it's thinking but sound and video shut down

Steven :

does it do this no matter what source you are using, Cable DVD player ect ?

Customer:

yes, it does this whether I'm playing a video game or watching a bluray on my playstation or watching tv

Steven :

Ok I have enough information to know that this unit has a serious problem on the main board, it is not something you will be able to fix with a reset procedure or anything like that, it is going to need service and the fact that it is still under warranty I would definately recommend contacting Vizio to find the closest service center to you. would you like a link to the vizio website ?

Customer:

yes please

Steven :

I wish that there was more I could do but should definately not pay for parts or service on a unit that is so new. http://www.vizio.com/index.php

Customer:

Not a problem Steven. I appreciate what you've been able to tell me.

Steven :

Your very welcome