Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

A massive lightning strike turned off my TV. A SONY 42 in LCD

A massive lightning strike turned off my TV. A SONY 42 in LCD TV w/surge protector).
Other sets work, so it is not the cable service. The Wii system also works on the set in question. I disconnected the HD cable and used the video cables to bring the signal from the box to the video in ports that the wii system uses. This allowed the TV to operate, though with an inferior picture complete with rolling lines.

Any idea what may be wrong?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your TV.

When there is a storm, surge or lightning strike, the HDMI board is usually the first thing to fail. It is a sensitive connection and carries 5 volts of bus power down the cable which can easily get damaged by the surge.

What you can try is a reset by unplugging both the Cable Box and TV from power for 15 minutes. During this time unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Then plug both units in. Power up the Cable box first, then wait 60 seconds and turn on the TV.

Do you get HDMI signal this way?

If not, then the HDMI connection on either the Cable Box or TV is faulty and needs to be replaced. Do you have another device you can connect to the TV via HDMI to test it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok trying this now.........waiting 15 mins
Okay let me know. If it does not work, then you'll need to either test the Cable box HDMI on another TV, or another HDMI device to the TV to determine which has the faulty HDMI connection. If it's the Cable Box, then it needs to be replaced. If it's the TV, then it would need to be serviced to have the HDMI board replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It did not work. I swapped out the cable box for a different (NEW) cable box and there was no difference.

Your analysis makes sense.