Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

Our large, flat screen, Sony television has a problem with

Our large, flat screen, Sony television has a problem with the far right strip (from top to bottom) of the screen displaying a distorted picture. After some minutes, it goes away and the picture is normal. The time required for the television to "warm up" and appear normal has increased from 10 minutes to about an hour.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

I'm afraid I know what’s wrong, and it's not good news.

Chuck Williams :

What I'm pretty sure you have is a defect developing in the panel, which is the actual screen.

Chuck Williams :

When the problem is happening, does it change from one input to another? I'll bet it doesn't.

Chuck Williams :

If you change picture sizes does the problem change? Again, I'll bet it doesn't.

Chuck Williams :

If you press the TV's MENU button (may be the HOME button on your set) to get the Sony on screen menu, does the problem interfere with the menu graphics? I'll bet it does.

If that's the case, it's the screen.

Chuck Williams :

Unless this is under warranty, this is going to be a major expense to fix, and is precisely why I urge anyone who buys a current technology HDTV to get an extended warranty. All of these TV's, regardless of whether it's plasma, LCD, or rear projection, have large and expensive assemblies that cannot be fixed, and must be replaced.

Chuck Williams :

But I would definitely try contacting a Sony authorized service provider and see what they say. They take these on a case by case basis, and may either fix the TV or give you a substantial discount on a new TV so definitely contact Sony Technical Support.

Chuck Williams :

Sorry for the bad news.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!