Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Hello, I have a Philips 60PL9200D/37 TV that I bought back

Hello, I have a Philips 60PL9200D/37 TV that I bought back in 2007. It has stopped working. The only thing it does when I power it up, the blue button flashes 6 times slow and then 5 times fast. I get no image or sound at all. Can you help?
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. Have you ever replaced any parts?
2. Any unusual noises coming from the TV?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No parts replaced ever.

No noises, only the blue light flashing...

Ok, turn the TV off. Now turn it back on and listen closely. Can you hear the TV trying to turn on? Listen closely for a "fizz, click" noise.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I cannot turn it on or off, all I can do is plug it into the wall, and unplug it.

This is what happens when I plug it into the wall:

It clicks and makes another short noise and the flashes steadily for about a minute, then another click by itself and then flashes 6 times slow and then 5 times fast.

After this, nothing happens if I push the blue button or the remote button. All I can do is unplug it from the wall.

Ok, thanks.

Your TV needs a new lamp, which is actually good news. I say "good" because this is totally normal. The lamp is a consumable part, much like the light bulbs in your home... and just like a light bulb, the lamp is user-replaceable.

Go to dlplampsource.com or encompassparts.com and enter the TV's model number. The lamp should run you about $180 to have it shipped pre-installed in the housing. You'll be able to save $30-$50 by ordering the bulb by itself (no housing), but take my advice and spend the extra money; it'll make install much easier.

Please don't go to eBay or similar, and if the website has "cheap" in the title, it's bad news. Don't try to save money on this, trust me. Much less than the $180 I quoted you, and you're buying a counterfeit or factory reject, guaranteed. OK?

Your user's guide should have replacement instructions. Let me know if you get stuck.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please look into this website where this lamp is sold and let me know what you think:

http://www.pureglare.com/product/view.aspx?so=GA&pid=3475&gclid=CPzD-pvPu6kCFYbt7QodO0t6gA

No, bad news... trust me, I've seen that place before. I gave you reputable sites... buy from them. I have no affiliation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, LampSource offers BARE lamp only at $169.00

Encompass offers the following (see below). First it says $186.95 but at the very bottom says Equivalents Bulb only $129.69 What is the difference?

Parts Information

Manufacturer
Part Number313912877921
DescriptionReplacement Lamp
Substitute Part928138905390
Estimated Weight5 lb(s).
Total Availability0
Estimated Ship Date*NLA* Use Substitute Part
On Vendor Purchase OrderNo
Core Price0.00
Part Price186.95
Total Price186.95
Please use substitute part 928138905390
This part cannot be canceled and is NOT eligible to be returned as new and unused.
It will ONLY be replaced if received defective.

See below for possible savings

Used with models:
Magnavox 50ML6200D/37
Philips 50PL9126D/37
Philips 50PL9200D/37
Philips 50PL9220D/37
Philips 60PL9200D/37
Philips 60PL9220D/37
Philips 50ML6200D/37

Prices are subject to change without notice

Equivalents

ManufacturerPart NumberDescriptionTotal AvailabilityPart Price
Lamp Only313912877921-BAREBulb Only0129.69

Encompass doesn't have either in stock... original part or sub part. LampSource has the lamp for $170 which is not a bad deal. I'd get that one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I'll order the one from LampSource for $169 right now.

Also, I read the whole user manual and it does not tells you how to replace the lamp. Can you give me instructions?

No problem... click here.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. This video teaches me how to replace the lamp inside the housing only. Do you have anything else like a diagram that shows how to open the TV and get the housing out?

Also, am I in any danger of getting a nasty electrical shock doing this?

Sorry for the many questions, but I have never done anything like this before and want to make sure I do things the right way.

Thanks again, you have been VERY helpful so far and I really appreciate it.

You'll need to remove the TV's lower rear panel (12 screws). Once you're inside, remove the 2 screws (see red box), then slide the housing out and follow the bulb tutorial... then replace the housing and replace the back panel.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANKS DAN!

I just replaced the lamp as advised and my TV is working again!!!!

I'm going to press the "ACCEPT ANSWER" button now, have a great week.

Jesus Lopez.