Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my lg 47 inch flat screen powers off an on what can I do to

my lg 47 inch flat screen powers off an on what can I do to fix problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number?
2. How long have you owned it?
3. Have you ever replaced any parts?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am at work do not know model number, had tv 7 years,no
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know when you have the model number. It's important.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you give me a guesstimate and how will i be able to contact you
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
LG has dozens and dozens of models... a guesstimate wouldn't be fair to you (or to the price you paid for an answer here).

To contact me, just follow the link in the e-mail we sent you. Or go to www.justanswer.com and click "My Questions."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX here is the model of my LG tv you were asking for:

47LB5D. Looking forward to your response.

Thanks

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hi Reginald,

How long does it stay on, before powering off? When it powers off, is the whole TV shutting down to the standby state? Also, does it come back on by itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
First thing in the morning I power it up it does not come on power light flashes then goes steady green with no picture. I repeat this a couple more times, then picture comes on then cuts out. I power down tv and turn back on tv then stays on. This only happens when tv has been off for a long time.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Any clicking coming from the TV while you're trying to turn it on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a popping sound when the tv turns off.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have any electronic tools and does it sound like it could be something simple. I know that is a loaded question.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Well it's tough to say for sure what the issue is, but it definitely sounds like you have a bad power supply board. You wouldn't need any special tools to swap this out... just a screwdriver. Power boards for these LG models usually aren't very expensive... $50-$150 typically. You could have a tech run some diagnostics to be sure this is your problem, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will get back with you as soon as I can thank you for your valued info. Have to go to work I will get back with you later this afternoon. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, I had a technician do a diagnostic check and he checked the power supply board and he said that it was the mother board. He said the power is there, but the mb was not getting the signal. What do you think of that assesment?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds reasonable. I'm not in front of the TV... hopefully he was when he ran diagnostics. Did he write up a repair estimate? If so, how much?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he was in front of it. Also he estimated the part at $250.00 plus labor.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Yep that sounds about right. I see the main as $290. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, thank you again for your time and expertise on this matter.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.

Respectfully,
Dan T.