Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My Samsung 50 inch Tv will not turn on. It was working earlier

Customer Question

My Samsung 50 inch Tv will not turn on. It was working earlier today but not it just won't turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. Are you seeing any signs of life at all? Sights or sounds? Front panel LEDs? Fans spinning? Or totally dead?

2. How long have you owned it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No signs of life, it seems to be totally dead. I have had the TV for about 2 1/2 years.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I would like to know if it is reparable, if so is it something I could do on my own or am I better off getting someone else. I don't have experience and as far as tools, I have tools but if there are special tools for TV's I don't have them.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There are three things inside your TV that could cause this... the power cord (least likely), the line fuse (likely), or the power supply circuit card (most likely).

The power cord is pretty self-explanatory... if you swap it out and the issue persists, the cord isn't the issue. A new one is relatively inexpensive, or you can use an ohmmeter to check it and you won't have to buy one as long as it's good.

The fuse is a bit more involved. You'll need to remove the TV's rear panel and trace the input power cord to a circuit card... that's the power supply board; it will be fused... check/replace the fuse(s). Replacements should be available at local retailers like Radio Shack or online at,, or

If the power cord and fuses are fine, you should replace the whole power supply board. You might want to hire a technician to do this... it's a fairly delicate process. If you need to find a local tech, just let me know... I'll need your zip code.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.