Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD
Experience:  Factory Trained and Certified on PLASMA, HDTV, LCD, and Bose. Authorized Servicer, 15yrs Exp.

Sharp LCD TV 46D62U - Digital audio output is not working -

Customer Question

Sharp LCD TV 46D62U - Digital audio output is not working - the audio cable gets a faint red glow, but not as bright as it should be and no digital audio out working. Same cable and audio system work perfectly with an identical sharp 46D62U.

I did a reset back to factory specs. I understand how it is supposed to operate. Does this sound like a hardware failure (I'm guessing no) or should we upload the firmware again - and if so how? I see the SD card slot, just download a file(from where?) and put it in the card reader and it loads automatically?

Any advice appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Flatpanel Guru replied 3 years ago.

Flatpanel Guru :

Welcome to Ja,

Flatpanel Guru :

More than likely this is not a firmware issue, more then likely this has to do with no data present for the set to transmit. It will only send outdio through the Fiberoptics if Digital audio is available if you are using an analog audio input to the set is in many case will not output digital audio, only if you are using over the air HD signal that contains DTS information

Flatpanel Guru :

This model does not have an audio upconvert for most analog signal unlike many newer model that do

Flatpanel Guru :

If you see a bright laser led outputing out of the back of the unit then the jack is more than likely a good jack from the set, you may have a problem decoding the DTS info in the set and in that case it is possible you have a programing error

Flatpanel Guru :

I would start by setting up the set to a factory reset, again go into the audio setting and select the PCM again

Flatpanel Guru :

Firmware is simple enough to update but always good to be safe and do a firmware when not needed every once in a great while a firmware update can become currupted during install and make for a really bad day and require the replacement of the mainboard

Flatpanel Guru :

LetWelcome

Flatpanel Guru :

Even if you have a small misalignment more than likley you would have distorted output like a skipping cd effect instead of no output, is it very bright out the back of the set?

Customer:

I'm not sure that's the issue. We have tried multiple digital sources with the TV via HDMI in including HD sat, HD cable, Mac TV and Blueray player. The Sat TV is the same feed used with another tv of same model and it works fine, did not test other sources off working TV, but that source definately has good digital audio in, and most of the others do too

Flatpanel Guru :

That was my wonder if it was a digital sound being input or if you were using rca jacks

Customer:

Also, on the good TV, the digital audio out also works to pass the audio fro analog in sources like xbox and wii - so at least one of the two TVs is taking analog in and sending it out the fiber out...

Customer:

(re "Good TV" sending audio from digital out) - that info is based on a previous setup from a year ago.

Flatpanel Guru :

The newer sets can upconvert older sets did not do a good job at this

Customer:

On the good TV it is very bright, on the bad TV it is barely visible

Flatpanel Guru :

How is the brightness from the laser leaving the set before a cable is connected

Customer:

same cable = no break in the fiber cable

Flatpanel Guru :

asked and answered

Flatpanel Guru :

No it is the tv for sure if it is dark

Flatpanel Guru :

the cable sounds fine and so does everything else,

Customer:

Too hard to get my head back there to see... but very bright in one tv, very dim from other using same cable

Flatpanel Guru :

Let me check something real quick

Customer:

10-4

Flatpanel Guru :

I own the same set only a 42" version that is the reason i chose this question to be honest.

Flatpanel Guru :

Alright you seem knowledgable about your set but i need to know everything you do, so there are a few sound setup option on this set, what are all the setting you checked on the set to make sure we are all on the same page

Customer:

the audio is set to select from digital via hdmi, and the output is set to variable works on set #1 but not #2

Flatpanel Guru :

Set it to fixed, as a test, also it should be set to digital via PCM in most cases, only if you are outputing through the HDMI is this ussually selected i maybe wrong on that as it is i dont have mine connected using PCM so cant say 100%. it may also be listed as DTS or sound system.

Flatpanel Guru :

Setting it to fixed is just to elimate the audio volume control in the set from locking it out.

Flatpanel Guru :

In the digital setup, pcm limits the output but does force it to output everything so worth a test

Customer:

where do you see the pcm setting?

Flatpanel Guru :

on mine it is in the digital menu you may find in your audio menu let me pull a manual and check to be sure.

Customer:

I'm pretty sure you are looking at a newer sharp tv - this tv does not have the digital menu, but it is present on my much newer 60" sharp

Flatpanel Guru :

Ah i just checked you are correct, apperently i have a d64 it clicked, well makes the menus different, sorry

Customer:

this TV also does not have an HDMI out...

Flatpanel Guru :

Ah man 0 for 2 on that one.... Alright let me grab your manual offline my manual will do no help on this... be back in a moment

Flatpanel Guru :

just need to know how your menu works

Customer:

ok

Flatpanel Guru :

I just want to get the simple stuff out of the way but i am begin to get closer to the idea of a main board issue which means a firmware update is worth a shot. But let me get the manual to be sure.

Customer:

ok FYI at this time I have direct access to the working TV, the bad one is 20 miles away but the owner there can do tests remotely.

Flatpanel Guru :

Okay in case you want it here is a link to owners manual http://dl.owneriq.net/e/e4aa4202-4c89-4b52-b989-fde8978cfa4a.pdf

Customer:

thanks

Flatpanel Guru :

On this set this model it does show a digital menu in the manual...

Flatpanel Guru :

page 28 shows how to setup the unit into digital out through pcm

Customer:

I think that may come up when using the ota tuner...

Customer:

I know something was only accessible, and relevant, when using ota... sorry I forgot.

Flatpanel Guru :

It should be available all the time, no problem.

Customer:

ya - per page 26 it only affects the tuner for ota broadcast - don't think it affects hdmi inputs...

Customer:

its not available unless it detects a load on the antenna input

Flatpanel Guru :

It does show it should be avail on any source but here, i dont see that on 26 are you using the online manual?

Flatpanel Guru :

Full Size Image

Flatpanel Guru :

This is what i am seeing

Customer:

page 26, column 2, top, Digital setup: this setting allows you to optimize the settings of digital broadcasting.

Flatpanel Guru :

Digital output should be able to set on any input it should not be locked out, if i am wrong i am wrong but see if work by just using the remote setting

Customer:

the option only appears when a 75ohm antenna is connected to the ant/cable input

Customer:

maybe these tvs dont have the latest firmware - I have seen that menu, but not for several years when playing with an ota antenna. neither TV offers that menu right now.

Customer:

I can put rabbit ears on the good tv here, but we have none at the remote tv.

Customer:

also, on the remote (bad tv) we did a full reset back to default settings

Customer:

is default pcm or dolby digital? I presume pcm as it is the first choice of the two

Customer:

how do we check the current firmware version on both tvs - they have different firmware that would be telling...

Flatpanel Guru :

hum default setting is ussually dolby so that may not help. Well that elimates that... firmware is not interchangable between the 2 each set requires unique firmware as they enable and disable different feature store the address locations of signal jacks and even house the menu interface it is like the software for a car each need to be made for the model.

Flatpanel Guru :

On a 62 you can only check firmware by inserting a card with new firmware or by using a service remote

Flatpanel Guru :

service remotes are only sold to authorized service center

Flatpanel Guru :

The file must be sent from you from sharp directly unlike new set they provide on the online site this model does not have downloadable firmware.

Flatpanel Guru :

It must be installed on a card by sharp and sent to directly.

Customer:

that sucks - stepping away fro 2 to hook up rabbit ears to good tv

Flatpanel Guru :

understood

Flatpanel Guru :

Apologies my internet explore froze just had to reload my browser.

Customer:

ok - with antenna hooked up additional menu and options appear, including the one you mentioned. The TV that worked is and has been set to the default, Dolby Digital. Audio worked properly on dolby digital with this tv so I think the pcm setting is moot anyway

Flatpanel Guru :

yeah that what i think to

Flatpanel Guru :

Older sets were more painful to work with but was worth a look

Flatpanel Guru :

If you can get the firmware from sharp yes it is plug and play pull the power plug insert the card let it load completely this can take upto 20 minutes dont pay any attention to the loading bar. Otherwise replace the main board i will get you a part number

Customer:

and no procedure you know of to suck the firmware off one tv onto a card so it can be loaded onto another?

Flatpanel Guru :

DUNTKD934FM01 encompassparts.com has it in stock but so do a few places on ebay and some others i found, encompass is an authorized dealer meaning it is for sure good and supported

Customer:

$$?

Flatpanel Guru :

You can not, just not possible, it is a firmware, meaning you need a computer to connect it to the set just not customer able

Flatpanel Guru :

you could switch main boards outside of that cant be done

Flatpanel Guru :

said i would get you the part number in case you needed it

Customer:

nah... thats a bad idea waiting to happen.

Flatpanel Guru :

Yeah well i would call sharp see if you can get it and if not you will need to replace the main board, just no way around it hope this helps, it took a lot longer than usual to wind up here but hopefully now we know

Customer:

I don't have a logon for encompass, and not asking for yours - but do you see a price?

Flatpanel Guru :

just use the guest login

Flatpanel Guru :

right under the login section

Customer:

ok - thanks for trying I appreciate it

Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD
Experience: Factory Trained and Certified on PLASMA, HDTV, LCD, and Bose. Authorized Servicer, 15yrs Exp.

Should be available on this page if not i can post it for you