Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

my sony bravia is stuck on channel one -

Customer Question

my sony bravia is stuck on channel one - i have used the remote and buttons on side

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Are you connected with a cable box,satellite receiver etc ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?

Jack :

I will wait for a while(standby) to see if you become available for chat, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Customer :

Yes connect via hmdi cable thru comcast box

Customer :

sony bravia kdl 2bx300

Jack :

Hello

Customer :

hi

Jack :

Are you talking about the inputs or the tuner/channels ?

Jack :

You`re trying to set your tv to the HDMI input ?

Customer :

tuner/channel

Customer :

no the tv has worked fine for about 2 months. usually is on channel three and cable works fine. this morning it was stuck on channel one so i get no cable signal.

Customer :

i have tried the remote and to manuall move it from one to three with the side buttons but they won't work either??

Jack :

No problem but let me see if i understand you correctly,
Usually you have the tv on channel 3 and then you change the channels/stations with the comcast box, correct ?

Customer :

correct - tv us set to channel 3 and then i operate the tv through comcast remote

Jack :

O.k then it means your tv is connected to the comcast box with a coaxial cable and not HDMI
Also means that you`re not getting the best picture you could get while connected this way.

Jack :

Let me get the details on your tv and we`ll see about getting the channel 3 back or connecting it a different way ?

Jack :

I would need a few minutes ?

Customer :

no coaxial cabel goes from wall jack to box and then tv connected to box with hmdi

Jack :

O.k then why would you need to set the tv on channel 3 as you are not using your tuner ?
Unless you something like a vcr connected to it ?

Jack :

You must mean input 3 ?

Jack :

let me get your tv`s manual and we`ll take a look

Jack :

Your tv is a 32 " model ?

Jack :

If so then your model must be KDL-32BX300

Customer :

no it is a 22 inch model

Jack :

O.k then 22bx300?

Customer :

yes sorry about that

Jack :

O.k no problem , do you have access to the back of the tv ?

Customer :

yes

Jack :

O.k and can you tell me on which input is the cable from the cable box connected ?
The name/label of that input ?

Jack :

HDMI 1 or 2 ?

Customer :

I believe it's hdmi 2 the top one becasue which i go to imput hdmi one is black and when i go to 2 it's a blue screen which says "no signal"

Jack :

Yes the top one is hdmi 1

Customer :

it's on the top one

Jack :

And when you set your tv to that input,all you get is a black screen ,no sound ?

Customer :

yes -

Jack :

O.k , i`d like you to try something

Customer :

ok

Jack :

Turn the power off the tv and cable box and move that HDMI cable to the input 2 then turn it back on and set your tv to HDMI 2

Customer :

done

Jack :

o.k and do you get anything or is it a black screen like HDMI 1 ?

Customer :

it is still black but hdmi one is blue with no signal

Jack :

O.k then i`d like you to try and pull the power cord off the cable box for a couple of minutes

Customer :

ok

Jack :

In the mean time you can reconnect the HDMI cable to the input 1

Customer :

done

Jack :

did you plug the cable box power back in ?

Customer :

do you think this is cable related? if so why would the manual channel up/down buttons on the side not function?

Jack :

Thats because it is not programmed with channels and in any case you have nothing plugged into the cable connector at the back of the tv ?

Customer :

cable power is on and data light is flashing

Jack :

Yes it may take a couple of minutes

Jack :

Do you have something connected to the cable/antenna terminal at the back of the tv ?

Jack :

Thats the round screw type connector

Customer :

power back on and no the only thing on the back of the tv is the hdmi cable

Jack :

O.k then you don`t need to bother with the channels not going up or down as they are not used(nothing connected to the antenna terminal)

Customer :

ok

Jack :

the channels buttons are in use only when you have 'something like an antenna or cable connected to the terminal at the back

Jack :

Is the cable box back online ?

Customer :

yes

Jack :

still no picture ?

Customer :

no

Jack :

Doen`t look good for that cable box then

Customer :

ok i'll contact comcast again

Jack :

Did you talk to them today ?

Customer :

yes and they felt the tv should be set to channel 3

Jack :

No that is only when you are using a coaxial cable to connect the cable box and tv, this time perhaps you can tell them that you have a HDMI connection and that you`ve reset both the tv and cable box

Jack :

They probably ask you to reset them but this has been done now

Customer :

great thanks for your help

Jack :

No problem and in any case you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime if you have any questions.

Customer :

thx

Jack :

You`re welcome and you can close this chat from your end with the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer and have no other questions at this time.

Jack :

Thanks again