PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

my 40 Haier flat screen High Def Tv just stopped working can

my 40" Haier flat screen High Def Tv just stopped working can you give me a list of service company's in the MA area.

PramitP :

Welcome to Justanswer. Before I answer, could you answer a few questions which I need to know for diagnosis.

When you turn the set ON, what is the color of the power LED?

Does it make any clicking noise?

How old is the set?

Regards

Customer:

TV is 5 yrs old, LED color is blue. Makes no noise at all.

PramitP :

Does it blink or does it remain steady?

Customer:

remains steady.

PramitP :

This happens when there is a fault in the power supply board. There might be bad or burnt components such capacitors or rectifiers or fuse. Most of the times there are swollen caps or burnt resistors which need replacement. The bad components are a result of heat or cold solders etc. If you remove the main board and inverter from the power board and the power stays ON, then its either the inverter or the main board. Prior to these you have to open the back and clean the dust.

Customer:

I am not getting any power now. There is no blue light at present. I get no response wen I try to turnn it on.

PramitP :

The capacitors are of rating like 1000mfd 50v . If you replace them by yourself, make sure that 1000mfd(microfarad) remains constant and the voltage is atleast 50V. A bulged capacitor looks like the one in the image below

Full Size Image

PramitP :

Usually when there is no LED, the main fuse(located near the point from where the power cord leaves the power supply board) is open(and needs to be replaced) but without proper diagnosis, who knows!

Customer:

I have no intention of working on this TV. I want to find a service technician which was my original question.

PramitP :

If you wish to take it to a repair shop it would cost you around $200-$250 for a repair.
You can use http://www.citysearch.com/ to locate TV Repair shops near your area.

PramitP :

And for an in-home service you'll be charged more than taking it to the shop.

PramitP :

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help. Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated

Customer:

R U still there?

PramitP :

Yes

Customer:

I realize that this will be expensive but I have no technical abilility and quite frankly this TV is too heavy and awkward for me to handle.