Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

when turning on tv blue screen appeared and a no signal sign

when turning on tv blue screen appeared and a no signal sign on the screen,after couple of seconds turn on tv shut off by itself,no picture to see at all
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model #VIZIOGV42LHDTV Tried to remove all connection at the back to see if everything will reset and go back to normal,when turning on tv, blue screen appeared and no signal on the the screen,after couple of seconds tv shutoff by itself,no picture to watch at all,also there are no problem when all devices are hooked to the television,except to that i mentioned
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
When you loose picture, if you press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not at all,the remote does not even function at all.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Does the light on the set shut off too, or does it stay on?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it also shut off
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the answer you gave is acceptable and i would like to ask you if by any chance i will have somebody look at it and find out that it was'nt the capacitors or what ever it is will i still get charged for $175-$200 just for trouble shooting,what about if they found out that it was the back panel that has a problem? you also mention that the panel worth at least $800,does it mean just get rid of the tv and just buy a new one,i would really appreciate if you could give me an option or suggestion,shall i go for a teach to trouble shoot first or just buy a new tv
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No you should definitely not get charged that much for troubleshooting, an average house call fee is around $75 which is all you should get charged if it ends up being the panel.

Yes if the lcd panel is causing your problem you could easily throw the tv out and get a new one.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where can i find a service tech close to san dimas? i will try to see if the tv can be fix ,but if not i'll just by buy a new one instead,i would like to thank you for the help you offered, i appreciate the help that you provided nad definitely would recommend your web to who ever needs help with electronics expertise.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I do not personally know anyone in that area but if you use www.tvrepairpros.com you should find a quality shop near you.

Thank you for your kind words as well.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.