Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Toshiba 62HM15 will not turn on. Bulb recently replaced and

Customer Question

Toshiba 62HM15 will not turn on. Bulb recently replaced and is still good. Have removed back cover to see inside. When I turn it on all of the fans start. Shortly after turn on the lamp fan kicks out momentarily, making a whirring sound then kicks back on. A double clicking sound occurs from somewhere behind where all of the hook ups are and it repeats the procedure again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

Let's see if we can narrow it down.

Turn the TV off, then put your face down by the lamp door... then turn the TV back on. You should hear (in order): cooling fans (gentle hum), color wheel (whirrrr or wheee), then the ballast (fizz, click). I think the ballast is what you're describing with the clicking noise... but let's be sure.

Do you hear all three? Fans, color wheel, ballast?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I hear all of those sounds.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Looking into the rear of the TV (as best you can) in a very dark room... does the lamp turn on at all? Even for a second?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's sitting in a sunroom so it's pretty much impossible to darken the room, cut I could clearly see that the lamp was not coming on at all.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
1. How old is this lamp?
2. Where did you get it?
3. How much did it cost?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lamp is about 4 months old. I bought it from an ebay seller with very high feedback. It was around $140 or so, best I can remember.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Well the problem is the lamp... guaranteed. Ok... about 99% that's your problem. Your DLP turns on via chain reaction... fans, color wheel, ballast, lamp... in that order, with the lamp being the very last thing. The only thing missing in the chain is the lamp... replace it. And please DO NOT buy a lamp from eBay... it's loaded with cheap garbage, factory rejects, counterfeits, etc. Use a reputable source like dlplampsource.com or encompassparts.com. I have no affiliation with either.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Problem was not resolved replacing lamp.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Where did you get the lamp?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ask a more relevent question Dan. The lamp works fine. The lamp is not the problem. I have 2 lamps now that both test out just fine. Your diagnosis was wrong.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Relevant? The DLP lamp market is littered with counterfeit junk. Lots of folks try to save money and shop around, then end up with 2-3 lamps only to end up blaming the TV (or the expert) when it still doesn't work. It's because they're buying cheap, factory-rejected garbage. So, friend, my question was entirely relevant. I just need to make sure you purchased a genuine, OEM lamp. If you didn't, you should've.

If you still feel my questions are irrelevant, feel free to work with another expert... but I know what I'm talking about.

Now if you'd like to continue... you say the lamp "works fine" and both your lamps "test out just fine" but I'm not sure how you determined this. How did you test them?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A basic continuity test. I'm sure it's not an oem lamp and I'm sure you're an expert in your field Dan. When the tv is turned on it blinks like it's going through the normal start cycle, then clicks, makes a whirring sound and repeats the cycle. It repeats this cycle several times and never starts. The bulb never comes on at all. Color wheel perhaps? Another component maybe? I believe there's a component called the engine. At this point it's not imperative that I repair the TV. I was hoping it would be a reasonably inexpensive repair, so I could sell the television for maybe $500 and get it out of the house. We've already gotten a 60" led to replace it. If you want to try to figure it out, please, be my guest. Respectfully, Larry S
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Larry,

You can't check continuity on a DLP lamp. The filaments are open, so you'll get infinite resistance every time... whether the lamp is good or bad. It's not like an incandescent where the filament itself illuminates. DLP filaments ignite the gas inside the lamp housing... so the only real test for a lamp is to install it. If you measured zero ohms, you either measured incorrectly or there's something seriously wrong with the lamp (or the meter).

Your color wheel is fine. That's the whirrr noise you're hearing. Shortly after that, you should hear the TV trying to light the lamp (fizz, click!). It should try this a few times before giving up. This almost sounds like what you're describing, but I want to be sure. You should hear cooling fans 1st (gentle hum), then the color wheel (whirrrr), then the ballast (fizz, click!).

It's good to do this in a very dark room, so you can look inside the slots on the back of the TV for any light coming from the lamp.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok Dan, I tried the turn on process in completely darkened room. I did see a light coming from around the box right where the bulb is located. After several cycles of clicking then whirring the cycles stop and the tv displays both the red and green lights blinking simultaniously.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

The light you're seeing... is it a spark, or is the actual lamp turning on? If the light coincides with the "fizz, click" noise, it's the spark.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pretty sure it's the actual lamp. Although there's not much light showing it's not flickering or doing anything else to indicate it's a spark. It shines steady.