Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

Why has my Audio stopped working

Customer Question

Why has my Audio stopped working?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 3 years ago.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

Is this happening with an HSMI source? Are you using a cable or satellite box with HDMI to the TV?

Customer :

Not sure what HSMI is? Yest connected to cable

Chuck Williams :

What I was asking is whether the cable box is coinnected to the TV by a single cable that plugs into a port in the back of the TV labeled HDMI.

Chuck Williams :

Most likely, that's how your box is connected to the TV.

Chuck Williams :

If so, and if you haven't tried it, unplug the power cord for the cable box for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and see if that fixes anything. It's a long shot, but you have to rule it out first.

Customer :

Yes there is a white thick cord

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if you have any success, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer :

still not working

Chuck Williams :

Do you have another source, like a DVD player connected, and if so, does the sound work for that?

Customer :

no DVD connected; just cable box

Chuck Williams :

OK, and this thick white wire you men tioned goes from the cable box to an HDMI input on the TV, correct? Not the threaded screw-on terinal on the back of the TV?

Customer :

yes ; no screw-on

Chuck Williams :

OK, do you have a set of patch cables that are yellow/red/white in color that you can temporarily connect to the cable box and TV?

Customer :

no

Chuck Williams :

OK, well it's relally pretty rare that the audio circuits in the TV fail, and really, the most likely cause is a defective cable box. If you had some patch cables, you could connect the box that way to see if the problem is limited to just HDMI, but since you do not, I would contact your cable company and try a new box first.

Chuck Williams :

Or if you can get a DVD player to just test the TV, that would certainly nail down where the problem is.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!