Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

The sound suddenly went out on my mothers philips television.

Customer Question

The sound suddenly went out on my mother's philips television. It is an a tube type tv, Philips, I think this is model number -20SP47S301, manufactured in 2002. The tv displays the word "mono" which I don't remember seeing before. I tried messing around with the remote, but could not find anything to click that brought the sound back.

Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

date on back of TV says 2002

There is only a cable box hooked to the tv. The sound does not come on with the cable box hooked to it or without.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
How is the box hooked to the tv?

The choices are:
Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
coax
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
what happens if you use the philips remote to go into the menu and change the audio setting to Stereo?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been using the philips remote, and going to the catagory called"sound", but I don't see anything that tells me how to change it to stereo. How do I change it to stero?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
You do not see a setting for stereo/sap/mono? This might be under setup.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the setting is there in the sound section, but i do not know how to select it. How do I select things in the menu using hte phillips remote?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
What buttons are you using to move through the menu?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
play, stop, fastforward, rewind
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Cant you move to the right and then move up and down to select?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it shades in the option but it doesn't actually allow me to select it. How would I get it to let me do that?

(btw, your now speaking with Meredith's 14 year old daughter, she's taking my brother to see a friend and should be back soon. That's why I sound so ignorant)

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Once you move over to the right you should be able to move up and down to select the different options?

Tim