PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

What does it mean if there are white dots that show on the

What does it mean if there are white dots that show on the screen. I currently have 3 of them. Is that problem major or minor?

First of all welcome to Justanswer. My name is Pramit. Before I start please answer a few questions.

Have you tried all the inputs?

How old is the set?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The TV is 4 years old. I am not sure what you mean when you say all inputs.

By inputs I mean the composite(Yellow Red and White), component(Red Green Blue Red and white) and HDMI(looks like USB) port at the rear cover of the TV.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am using HDMI.

Does it appear on other inputs too? Does it appear when you pull up the on-screen menu?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not have the cords for the other inputs. As far as the white 3 white dots are concerned, they show up whether I am watching TV or watching a DVD movie. Those 3 dots did not start on the same day. I started out with 1 white dot and later 2 white dots and now 3 white dots. I am hoping they are not serious.

Typical Samsung DMD failure! Seems like the TV has a bad DMD. It is known as Digital Micromirror Device and it is inside the light engine. This is the part that shines images onto the screen. If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV. You can get parts by CLICKING HERE. It is a part of the light engine and costs around $500-$600 for repair and around $1000 for replacement. There is a company which rebuilds DMDs for a cheaper price. You can click on the link on the link below to check it out.

You can contact Samsung Support for the same. You have to call 1.800.726.7864 and request a service. Hope it helps.

If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help. Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The answer you gave sounds about right. It definately does not sound like a cheap problem. Is it safe to ignore the situation it since I can still use the TV or will more things happen later if I ignore it?

Yes you can ignore it but ultimately the set will give up. Since the set is only 4 years old, you can consider a repair. You can use and search "TV Repair" near your locality.