Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my proscan 47 in full 1080p tv will not turn on. the red light

Customer Question

my proscan 47 in full 1080p tv will not turn on. the red light shows so it looks like power is reaching tv. but when pressing the on button on the tv or the remote the the blue indicator light does not come on to show that tv is on. it used to come on periodically when i would uplug and plug tv in the screen would be scrambled and then clear up. the hd channels would not clear up they would stay scrambled.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
model number 42LA45H, tv is approximately 3 to 4 years old.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
When you turn it on now, the light never blinks any pattern or anything though?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. light stays steady red. when it would come on after the trouble started it would blink or dim then i would press on again on remote control and the blue light would come on then the screen would be black and then the screen would gradually start showing scramble picture, then clear up to a nice picture, also the hdmi, vga ports don't work when attaching cables to those ports the screen would be blue and say no signal!

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

This is a very common problem with your tv, what has most likely happened (about 90% of the time) is the power supply has failed, more specifically there are a few caps in the power supply that have most likely failed. The unit will require component replacement to get it working again. Do you have any electronic repair experience, test equipment, and soldering equipment? If so I can assist you with this repair. If you do not have the above equipment and skills a repairman will be required for this repair, you can expect the bill to be around $200.

I am sorry that I don't have a magic button or a quick fix for you on this one, but component replacement will be required.

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say power supply has failed would it be worth a try using a simular power cord from another TV or is this something with the TV.? also if not how much would the new componet parts cost for this TV. I had an issue with a polaroid tv that just needed a new fuse at the power source which cost a couple of bucks?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Well since your red light is on, the fuse is not your problem. Capacitors normally runs around $10 a piece.

The power cord is not your issue, sorry, the power supply is a part inside the tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. one last question since set is about 4 years old and I use my tv for about 15 hours a day would you suggest getting this one fixed or buying a brand new tv?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I would say you are better off going with a new set omre than likely.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks you for your help and expertise!!!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, let me know if you need anything in the future.

Tim